Grey 16 valve

Offer your parts and cars for sale here.
SimonA
Tick Over

Grey 16 valve

Post by SimonA »

... and there are unknown unknowns
SimonA
Tick Over

Post by SimonA »

It looks like a relist of one TNS posted
... and there are unknown unknowns
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

I believe this is the one Mr Bandit of the BXP repaired this past weekend. The suspension fault was an old classic, air lock due to low LHM. Topped up, Citaerobics and its now working!
droopydoors

Post by droopydoors »

Well I am the new owner of this car H337 HRK and here are my thoughts...

It was filthy inside and out and is in need of serious TLC. The engine is sweet enough, but there are many other issues...
Fans not kicking in.
HP pump clicking all the time.
Brakes are all or nothing.
Power steering doesn't appear to be working.
Clunks and rattles from front suspension.
Rear lights like Christmas lights when indicating.
Headlight aim a bit low.
Interior fan not working.
No history or book pack, only paperwork was the MOT and V5.
Not really sure how it passed the MOT, considering it was only two months ago.
Damaged rear bumper.

Of course I could have walked away, but I thought I would have it anyway seeing as I had travelled 100 miles for it.

In my opinion I think the best course of action is to let this car support the life of better examples and look for another. Maybe even let the engine propel a 205 GTI !

What is the general consensus?
bxmark
3000 rpm

Post by bxmark »

Do the work and get the car into a presentable example , in no way would I take the engine out and use it in a 205 , in my eyes you have something far more rarer than a 205 , even if it takes a while it will be worth it in the end ,

Mark
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

droopy,
most of that is easy fix's fella,
the suspensoin noises are prolly Arb drop links, £30 ish from ecp/GSf,
Hp pump clicking all the time could well be tired accumulator sphere, £20 to fix,
rear lights = poor/bad earth behind the lights, pop them off form inside the boot, clean up earthing point, wire brush contacts, sorted,
also worth doing is to open all the plastic block connectors int he engine bay (big one under the battery) give them a clean up, light smear of vasalene and cabletie back together, and check the battery to chassis and battery to cog box earths, that will help most eathing issue's.

interior fan is most likely the controller in the fan unit under the bonnet, can be bridged on the fan board inside the car to make do (had mine for a while with a switch fitted nicely in the vent to bridge it and keep it going!) tenner from a yard for a complete blower unit,

fans not cutting in could be just corroded wiring by the fan switch in the rad pipe, (bridgeable to check fans work), otherwise, 5 minute job to wire in a switch to override the fans!

and i'd hazzard a guess that the brakes and steering is mainly due to air in the system, and lhm flush and bleed will prolly sort it!

all in, weekends work tops which for a 20 year old car, aint bad to get her sorted!

as for what to do with it, entirely up to you! if you want to do the lump out in a 205, then do it, but its So old hat now, its barely worth doing!! gti-6 lump is a better option! end of the day, not many cars can give such a grin enducing Drive and also be a very good Super comfy Cruiser!
no one expects a BX to be quick, and most peopl eout there inthier saxo's etc. havent got a clue what it is!!
but, its your car to do with what you please!
me, i'd spend a weekend tinkering and be sorted!! :wink:
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
droopydoors

Post by droopydoors »

I feel that just too much work to get this old girl fit for long term use and as the bodyshell is corroded in places I think the end is nigh. I feel that the MOT tester who passed this needs retraining. The engine wiring loom touches the drivers wheel where it has no section to sit in! The rear lights are hanging off, the list goes on...
Best you get your wanted requests ready as this car is just a bit too far over the hill in my opinion.
I will run it until the V5 arrives and then when it does, I will cash in the tax and get the sockets out.
It is a shame, but it can keep better cars roadworthy and prettier.
frog
3000 rpm

Post by frog »

I wonder what it would cost to ship the dashboard/de-mister vent to Australia? They all crack down here. :(
droopydoors

Post by droopydoors »

Already cracked mate !

Update - bumped into a local chap who has made me an offer for the whole car, so I shook his hand and he's been round and collected car.

The hunt starts again...
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

any ideas on his intent for the car droopy??
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
droopydoors

Post by droopydoors »

Think he maybe wanted it for the engine....funnily enough he texted me to say the power steering just started working !!!!