bx 4x4

Make requests for parts and cars here
cai876

bx 4x4

Post by cai876 »

The bx club doesnt seem to work so I have come here. does anyone know of a bx 4x4 fos sale? Or any advice in finding one? Thanks.
badlyworntoy
3000 rpm

Post by badlyworntoy »

there's a 405 mi16x4 in a parked in a field on ebay for auction

knock a bx 4x4 up from that :D
cai876

Post by cai876 »

How much work is that?
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

A lot!

To be honest a nice 405 Mi16x4 would be far less hassle than the BX 4x4, plus it's more powerful as the BX had the 8V engine, not the 16V.

If you do want a BX 4x4 specifically then find the most over maintained one you can, with the lowest miles.

edit: this is the ad for the Mi16x4 on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1989-Peugeout-MI1 ... 1c0ea3ddd2

By the sounds of it this one's past saving - I hate to think how much of a ragging a car like this has had to teach the kids to drive in a field :shock:

Adrian
cai876

Post by cai876 »

I like the idea of the suspension on the bx. But otherwise, is the 405 very different?
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

You tend to find BXs have been better looked after generally - before I bought my first BX I was also looking at 405 Mi16s and all those I saw in my price range had led a VERY hard life and were missing much evidence of regular care and attention.

I'm not sure of the differences between the 4x4 systems on the 2 cars, but I know the BX one isn't generally considered up to much apart from adding a fair bit of weight and being a bit prone to blowing a transfer box if it doesn't get the right oil changes etc. Chap called Simran on here had one which was very nice, and I gather he's either bought it back or helping the person he sold it to get it back into decent condition to sell on - worth a search on here for the details as it's a nice looking car.

The 405 4x4 I think has Citroen hydraulic rear suspension to give it self levelling. The Mi16 version must be beefed up compared to the BX setup - worth a bit of investigation anyway.

If you just fancy a BX then worth looking for the front wheel drive version - much more straightforward to look after if you're intending to use it daily.
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Here you go:

http://www.bx16valve.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ght=#16722

If you really want the 4x4 version that is probably one of the best you could possibly find
cai876

Post by cai876 »

I don't quite understand if that bx is for sale or not, is he repairing it to sell on, keep or what?
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

I don't know either, but given the plan was to dispose in an as-is state not so long ago, I'm sure it could be.

Simran can probably advise if you drop him a PM via the forum
SimonA
Tick Over

Post by SimonA »

If the Mi16 had the 16 valve engine and were more robust, does the transfer box (by inference stronger) fix a BX 4 x 4, does anyone know ?

Taking it another step, use a Mi16 to be a donor for a 16 valve 4 x 4 ?
... and there are unknown unknowns
Simran
4000 rpm

Post by Simran »

Hi, the 4x4 is now no longer for sale. There is something about them that makes you want to hold onto it and that bug has got Chris too now (its new owner) They dont have much power, certainly not enough to powerslide it around but they just handle so well that you cant give them up. Chris is doing his best to restore it and repair all the niggly faults with it with the intention of keepign it.

From what i know, the mi16 and bx 4x4 drivetrains are interchangable, it is possible to fit stronger mi16x4 or even a t16 transfer box. The boxes are slightly stronger but thats not to say the standard one isnt strong. There is a sealing issue that means the splines rust and deteriorate between transfer box and gearbox. The problem is trying to find one that is in good condition and keping it that way. The transfer boxes are only weak when you are trying to pass alot of power through them, such as with a turbo'd mi16. As far as i know, they dont break for any other reason other than the splines, which all three systems have a problem with, there are a few guys on here who have alot more experience with the 4x4 systems than me, im sure there is more they can add to help you.