16 valve poor gearchange

Make requests for parts and cars here
alastair

16 valve poor gearchange

Post by alastair »

Hi...am improving a really bad gear change ...have found loads of free play in a short rod ( citroen suggest part number 95495342) and also in what is described as a "control return" by citroen...part number 95569317.....however both parts are no longer available.......anyone got any thoughts on locating them????

All ideas greatfully received!!!

Alastair
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

You could probably modify one of those 205 short-shift kits, or if it's just the rods you need you can get rose-jointed ones on ebay, just need to check the lengths...
Now listen here you mullet...
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

nad one of any old 405 and with lucj it'll be correct length most aren't that bad, if they are just buy some new Xsara ones and cut n shut them, cab find you some good used spares if that helps?

Ollie
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

i think Kitch had some of the Adjustable ones on his?? rose jointed rings a bell?? not too sure though, i know he had some issues with his linkages popping off for a while,(when some of the guys did a santa pod trip) but cant remember if he went for the adjustable ones or 205 ones?? or they may have even been new std ones?? - usefull arnt i today hahahah! :wink:
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Timmo wrote:i think Kitch had some of the Adjustable ones on his?? rose jointed rings a bell?? not too sure though, i know he had some issues with his linkages popping off for a while,(when some of the guys did a santa pod trip) but cant remember if he went for the adjustable ones or 205 ones?? or they may have even been new std ones?? - usefull arnt i today hahahah! :wink:
They were Griffiths engineering IIRC for a 205 GTi. The two short ones fit, but the long one doesn't. BUT.....I'm told 405 ones do and they are available. They rock!

Even so, I wouldn't have thought they're the cause of the slack gearchange. It'll be the nylon bush in the selector rod or a bearing internal on the gearbox (I've had a few now)

edit: Some of the OE ones have a rubber bush in the longer rod at one end IIRC. Might be worth checking that out.
surjit25
4000 rpm

Post by surjit25 »

The long rod from the gear shift is constant ly wearing out maybe due to the heat from the exhaust, its pretty expensive part, so what I do is
use the bush from another similiar gear rod and press it in, cost me a few pennies only.