Valver wanted !

Make requests for parts and cars here
bxmark
3000 rpm

Post by bxmark »

Will give that a try , just on with cleaning up the door shut as they have quite a bit a wax/grease on the hinges , I want to get the car looking good so I can take it to some shows/events next year , is there any that you or the other members can reccomend not to miss ? Mark
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

Sorry kitch, your right matey, i was thinking of the gti-6 being the only 306 with passive rear steer,
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Timmo wrote:Sorry kitch, your right matey, i was thinking of the gti-6 being the only 306 with passive rear steer,
Nope, they've all got it too :)

405, ZX, 306, Xantia, 206 (I think!) all equipped. It's only front subframe bushes that pivot as they flex.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

Really! i only thought it was the 306 gti-6 that had it!

there we are, learn something every day hey!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
bxmark
3000 rpm

Post by bxmark »

Got some jobs done on the car this weekend , full service , replaced the damage mirror and had the handbrake cables replaced , these were totally shot and my mechanic mate had a nightmare getting them of , next up is a new battery as the starter is turning over a bit slow , ( I hope it's this as getting to the starter motor is a complete horror) , I am getting the car taxed in the week so I can't wait to go for a blast , can anyone reccomend a decent tyre (195/55/15) as I am looking at replacing all four or even moving up to 17" with 205/40/17 as I can pick up a new set of alloys & tyres for £400/450 , thanks ,Mark
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

If they're available, go for a Goodyear F1 GSD3 - they should last well on a car that light. They should be as I've got the predecessor to these in 14" on the BX 16V wheels.

Otherwise stick to Michelin would be my advice on these.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

if your starters a bit lazy, i'd suggest fitting a relay in the cicuit to make sure its getting full voltage as they do brake down over time! also worth a look can be the battery, the mi's like a good fast turning over and would assume the xsi lumps are much the same, i got a stupidly big battery for mine from the local auto sparks for sub £40!
tyres wise it may be worth fropping a little sidewall to 195/50 as you may find they are more common and better priced?? i got 4 yoko A539's for £140 fitted and balanced,

with adrians suggestions, be careful on some as there were a Lot of fake asian versions doing the rounds for a while! - am sure most are sorted now but the odd place may have some lying around too!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
bxmark
3000 rpm

Post by bxmark »

Will be getting a new battery this week (the biggest I can get) , as for the tyres there is quite a price hike from the 195/50's to 195/55's , I am still tempted to move up to a set of 17" alloys with some 205/40's I'm just a little bit undecided as yet , quite a few years ago I had some15" mim imola alloys with some 195/50/15 yokos on , these were fitted on my 1.9zx volcane and boy did that go round corners , after that I fitted them to my bx16v , very impressive tyres . Will keep you posted with what route I decide to go down , Mark
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Check the rolling radius change before going to a smaller tyre - you might alter the gearing more than you think and the speedo can end up quite a bit out as a result.

I seem to recall the ZX 16V was considered pretty hard riding when new, so I wouldn't go over 16" to retain some ride comfort. You could potentially end up with a fairly expensive wheel replacement habbit if there's a lot of potholes round your way.

I know you're miles up North but to get an idea of tyre prices give Bracknell Tyre & Battery a call (or any of the Micheldever chain) and get a price to match locally. I paid £450 for 4 Michelin Pilot Sport 2s in 235/45/17 fitted not so long ago - these are on my A6 bus.
bxmark
3000 rpm

Post by bxmark »

Your right about the hard ride on the zx Adrian , the 2 volcane's I had years ago were a lot softer riding but still very grippy , I have really only drove the car 100miles home and due to waiting to tax her she's not been off the drive yet , but it was a great drive home you could tell the this car was very tight with a good turn in , can't wait for the weekend , Mark
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

the 17's on the bx when i had then dropped the speedo from 6mph over read to 1.5mph, (tested with gps's)
but! didnt half make it harsh!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Daniel B
4000 rpm

Post by Daniel B »

I rather like the ride from the 17's :D
bxmark
3000 rpm

Post by bxmark »

Took the zx for it's first drive this afternoon after putting a years tax on her, thought I would have a run into Derbyshire with my wife , even though it was raining heavy it was a fantastic drive even though I couldn't really push it due to potential earbashing . The handling is very sharp and the steering nice and direct , next up will be replacing the tyres I think I will be sticking to the standard 195/55/15 tyres as I found the ride quite jiggly , moving up to 16's or 17's wil I think spoil the nice mix of ride & handling so I am on the lookout for some decent tyres next , after that possibly a stainless exhaust ? Mark
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

17's ruin ZX 16v's. Like most cars, they handle best on what they were designed to handle on :)
NZ16v
3000 rpm

Post by NZ16v »

Kitch wrote:17's ruin ZX 16v's. Like most cars, they handle best on what they were designed to handle on :)
^THIS

I put cheap 17s on my 16v, and they looked the b*****ks, but my lord, they fecked the handling, noise, unsprung weight, the lot.

Go one inch up from factory, MAX, and get good lightweight alloys, not the chinese knockoffs i got!

Oh, and good tyres-do your research, i got a great of 15s, for $120NZD each ,and they beat out tyres three times the price in an independant review
Would rather be driving ONE 16v,than fixng TWO.