quality speakers to go in rear c pillar

Make requests for parts and cars here
pete crane
Tick Over

quality speakers to go in rear c pillar

Post by pete crane »

I am looking for some reasonable quality speakers to fit in the rear c pillar mounts without any alteration. I have an Alpine head unit but my original speakers have given up the struggle and shredded - I think Alpine used to offer "custom fit" speakers many years ago that replaced odd sized o/e stuff used by car manufacturers and I wondered if any of you have a set cluttering up the garage that we could do a little deal on ? Cheers Pete 01772 813227.
awaiting return of my beloved BX 16V from professional restoration due back spring 2012. Looking for mint 1990 drivers seat in the stripey white and black pattern to replace mine which is looking slightly worn after 140k miles of me sitting in it.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

there are a few in the lines of custom fit as such, most though its purely the size of them are the same as what said audio company offer rather than proper custom fit! but iirc kenwood make some??
http://www.justkenwood.co.uk/speakers.asp
may be some of hte ones towards the bottom of the page?? i dont know the size of them of the top of my head but if no one has answered by tomorow i will pop out an dmeasure them as one of my lil grill's has fallen of! :roll:
to change them though its the whols panel to come of iirc! not a ten minute job! :cry:
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

I tried to get some a few year back - think they were Kenwood - and I found the problem with the OE installation (on my K plate anyway) was the speaker only had 1 screw fitting, and the other end was a kind of L/S shaped bracket designed to feed into a slot in the body.

I took the ones back I bought and fitted a pair of Blaupunkt 6X9s in the rear shelf instead, with a quick release wiring plug for when I need to carry a load.

They're now residing in the phase 1, which didn't come with any rear speakers whatsoever :shock: Factory standard was the 2 front doors and dash tweaters only.

So to answer your question, think you'll find it is only 'unique fit' stuff that'll be any good to you, assuming any was made. Even then I'm not sure they add any useful sound anyway - mine sounded better with them unplugged!

Adrian
Mike E (uk)
4000 rpm

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Best thing you can do with the rear 1/4 panel speakers is bin them.
They can never work well given the way they are mounted.
OK for traffic reports, but that's about it.
Removing 15 year old the plastic trim panel without it cracking is a challenge though.

As suggested, the rear parcel shelf is the place to put speakers.

The BX is surpringly well equipped with a very sturdy parcel shelf,
not a thin flappy cardboard cut-out you get in a Cavalier or Sierra hatch.

6x9s make the hatch a bit heavy to open, and protrude too far into the boot when the space is needed to carry stuff, but do sound good.

Even 5.5 inch round speakers sound good in the rear shelf, and this is what I use most of the time. The standard tweeters are very good, and the yellow coned 'Citroen audio upgrade' door speakers work fine too.

The trick here is to stop the door speaker covers buzzing with sticky foam pads.
The standard paper coned door speakers are dustbin fodder too.

I only have a 35Wx4 head unit, with fat power cables direct to the battery; but it sounds fine even in the noisy BX.

Mike
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

i love my rear 1/4 speakers, set them up right and they are in the correct position to give more body to your audio (they are the only thing that points into the cabin, everything else reflects, be it off glass or legs).

Remeber if you have leather interior and some early non 16v models to check that the back seat has TWO ledges for the parcel shelf to sit on or it will sat very quickly (as proven by my car which has one central lug, the parcel shelf has warped rather badly in only 3 years, while the previous shelf in the 19rd with GTi interior two lugs and the same 6x9's never sank!)

At the end of the day you will only ever get car audio to sound good, or at best as you personally like it, car interiors simply have too small a volume to ever sound perfect so your stuck with either good or loud, a good reason why i dont bother with expensive speakers, the standard BX ones are the best you can get in a car without spending 20/25k+ on a new car which have some level of acoustic engineering done on them.

I do have a set of the quarter panel speakers, perhaps they could be used as a reference for purchasing the right sized replacements and as donors for there brackets etc?

One thing that doesn't go a miss, replace all the wiring running to the speakers!
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

Pete.

It's true that the rear qtr speakers are never going tump along to your Drum 'n' Bass revival tapes, but i do agree with Vanny that the they do add body to the music if you use them for mid/treb only and can get the level right in comparison to the fronts & rears (which aint easy unless you have a DSP or are using line-out to a rear amp as most head units are 4 channel).

The fitting is 3 & 1/2 inch or 87mm, Alpine used to do an excellent single cone jobbie, think it was the ASC-877 but they may be long since discontinued.

Alternatively theres the Sony Xplod A827 which is a 2-way 87mm unit rated at 20w RMS. They are very good when set up right as i had a set on my old Hurricane which made goo sound when the Parcel Shelf (and 6x9's) were removed for load lugging.

Just remember not to try dumping loads of bass into such a small speaker and while you've got those panels off cover any metal joins, screws & even round the edge of the speaker itself with a good sticky Duct Tape & most of the rattles will be eliminated along with speaker vibration!

Jay.
Now listen here you mullet...
pete crane
Tick Over

Post by pete crane »

:roll: Hello again guys, thanks to you all for your thoughts which was what I was after - to be a bit more specific I have o/e mounting brackets which are held by 2 screws into the metal of the car. These brackets then had very small odd size speakers riveted to the bracket. I unriveted the speaker and set off with my xmas voucher to Halfords expecting to find something to fit, but all the speakers there were the 3 and a half inch ones that some of you are talking about. They would not fit the bracket!. I was hoping to keep the original set up (just because I am sad that way) but would have liked to pop in a better quality speaker. The measurements are : bracket speaker hole 7.7cms (the speaker drops in this hole) while the speakers I took out measure 7cm across the cone and 9 cms diagonally from mounting points. If I get back to Vanny and reinstall the original equipment ones will they blow up when connected to my Alpine? Do the guys using 3.5 inch speakers screw them to the bodywork without using the bracket ?
Over to you guys again for your thoughts please...Cheers Pete
awaiting return of my beloved BX 16V from professional restoration due back spring 2012. Looking for mint 1990 drivers seat in the stripey white and black pattern to replace mine which is looking slightly worn after 140k miles of me sitting in it.
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

"Do the guys using 3.5 inch speakers screw them to the bodywork without using the bracket ? "

Exactly that & they worked fine!
Now listen here you mullet...
RobC
3000 rpm

Post by RobC »

talking of screwing stuff into the bodywork, i brazenly did this with my 10 disc cd changer, in the cubby hole in the boot. trouble was, one of the screws was a little too long and guess what? a tiny lil bulge is visible from the outside... that'll teach me! :oops:
Jezziebx16v

Post by Jezziebx16v »

RobC wrote:talking of screwing stuff into the bodywork, i brazenly did this with my 10 disc cd changer, in the cubby hole in the boot. trouble was, one of the screws was a little too long and guess what? a tiny lil bulge is visible from the outside... that'll teach me! :oops:
ROBERT :shock: :shock: :roll:
Past 16v's: 89 Ph1 Black, 90 Ph2 Grey, 89 Ph2 Black, 91 Ph2 Grey, 91 Ph2 Black.

Now. 94 Datsun Silvia S14 rice rocket, 85 Peugeot 505 Turbo, 77 Ford Capri.
Toddman
Administrator

speakers

Post by Toddman »

Pete you can or at least used to be able to get some Kenwood speakers to fit in the 1/4 panel - TNS has the pair that came out of the valver I broke.
Personally I went for 6x9s in the shelf but fitted a high pass filter (capacitor) to the std 1/4 speakers and they do help fill out the osund nicely 8)

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

For no sub's lukes is an impressive set up and sound too!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!