problem picking up a bx

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
iain a
3000 rpm

problem picking up a bx

Post by iain a »

hi all, myself and my dad went to droitwich last sunday( a pain in the arse on the way back, the m40 was closed due to a shooting) to collect a 'non-runner' bx.. we replaced the fuel pump, as this was all that was wrong with it... apparently... but we could'nt get it started... the battery is as flat as a pancake... having a quick look around it, the bodywork looks in quite good nick, just needs a good clean and possibly some touching up with paint... we were just wondering, if anyone has a low loader/flatbed we could ask the services of...to get the car from droitwich to luton....

i'm sure cossie will add something to this little message....

its a bugger really, 'cos we left a new fuel pump on the car......

and quite lucky we could'nt get it started i suppose, as i'd doubt it would make it home in all the backed up traffic!!
oh bugger!! What now?!?
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

why not take the plugs out, stick er in gear an tow er so the suspension comes up and brakes work etc?? ive towed one like that for 98 miles. :D 8) :lol:
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

could also chock up the rear suspension and stick the front on a dolly. Two names spring to mind Cavmad has a long bed Merc pickup (he's registered on here) but he's based in chester so a bit of a drive and possibly costly. Theres a guy called Yan on the BXClub forum (someone Cavmad knows) who i think is based in Lincoln with a flat bed for hire, might be worth seeing if you can get hold of them.

Can you not get it recovered by the RAC?

Or stick it on a trailer?
cossie
4000 rpm

Post by cossie »

When my son in law broke down,in his Zafira.He was taking it to get it traded in,the RAC wouldnt recover him as his tax was out hmmm.Although he is/was a member.
cossie
4000 rpm

Post by cossie »

The guy dont know a thing about cars either.He broke one of the plug leads !!! and didnt have any tools of any kind.
I just havent got the time to make another run,as I already gave up my Sunday overtime.I work 5 nights,so you can see the time I get.
He did give us a baterry charger to get it started though hahahahaha.
My 16v has been sitting in my garage for 4 years,and started on the first turn on Sunday.Still got the octopus to do.
As Iain said,the car is in very good condition.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

well it's 250 miles from me (return) and as i don't have transport of my own at the moment i think there is very little i can offer in the way of assistance. I'm sure there are members in that area that might be able to offer some more constructive input!
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Am I missing something? You changed the faulty pump but couldn't start it cos the battery was dead?

Put a new battery on it? :?
cossie
4000 rpm

Post by cossie »

When I phoned the guy,he said that all it needed was the pump.That it turns over ok.We didnt have a battery with us,as I havent got a spare one.And as the car is over 100 miles away from us,i will have trouble finding the time to go back.My work times dont give me the time.
As I said before the guy is not that much use when it comes to cars.He didnt even know what a plug lead was !!!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

just get someone to drop u off, then call the aa / rac (assuming your a member) then get a free ridse home on an aa lorry..worked for me :-)

u just have to put on a believable, "i cant understand, it just stopped!"
cossie
4000 rpm

Post by cossie »

I know the RAC wont do it as the car is not taxed or MOT'ed dont know about the AA
When my son in law broke down,in his Zafira.He was taking it to get it traded in,the RAC wouldnt recover him as his tax was out hmmm.Although he is/was a member
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

ally wrote:just get someone to drop u off, then call the aa / rac (assuming your a member) then get a free ridse home on an aa lorry..worked for me :-) u just have to put on a believable, "i cant understand, it just stopped!"
thats how i got me ph1 home the AA :) :D :lol: :lol: 8)
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
iain a
3000 rpm

Post by iain a »

dad, has he e-mailed you back yet to say its got started yet?
oh bugger!! What now?!?
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

well I'm 20 mile up from droitwich so could either help to get it started or lend you a 16ft trailer! either should sort it pretty quick. when are you next coming down?

Ollie
iain a
3000 rpm

Post by iain a »

not sure.... i'll have to let dad (cossie)know.... thanks for the offer :)
oh bugger!! What now?!?
cossie
4000 rpm

Post by cossie »

Ollie
Any chance you could pick it up and bring it here? If so whats the charge.The guy needs it moved,and as I have said,I just havent the time to go back there myself.Very busy at work.Also,I havent got anything to tow with.
Other than that,anyone want a Ph2 16v?