Am I being too anal??

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
RobC
3000 rpm

Am I being too anal??

Post by RobC »

This is accompanying the keys to my car when lending it to my mate next saturday (look out for a white 16v in cornwall...)

anything i've missed?? :wink:

I still can't believe i'm letting it out of my sight, still the experience should be good for me in the long run i guess (dealing with loss, etc!):

"
Things to remember about my pride and joy…

It is a 1991 Citroen BX 16V (16-valve).

a) READ THE HANDBOOK BEFORE STARTING. Please…
b) BE GENTLE WITH THE HANDBRAKE! When applying, pull it up gently with the button in until you feel it meeting resistance. When releasing, remember you don’t have to yank it up!!!
c) ALWAYS LEAVE IT IN GEAR when parked – because said handbrake can be unreliable. Don’t forget to take it out of gear when starting though…
d) BE GENTLE IN THE GEAR CHANGE! The gearbox is getting old and needs to be treated gently.
e) FILL UP WITH SUPER UNLEADED IF POSSIBLE, but normal unleaded is ok if super unavailable.
f) CHECK THE OIL on level ground, but wait at least ten minutes after stopping the engine (1st thing in the morning is therefore best). If it’s more than halfway towards the lower notch then top up with half a litre (no more than that).
g) REMOVE THE STEREO FACE WHEN LEAVING THE CAR and don’t leave ANY valuables inside – even if you think you’ve hidden them. Thieves can watch you. Trust me, this has happened to me one more than one occasion. I hid my minidisk player in the back of the front seat but a thieving scumbag was watching me unawares…!
h) USE THE YELLOW STEERING LOCK!
i) DO NOT PARK OVER OVER-HANGING KERBS! Because the car sinks after about 10 mins and you may damage the bumpers.
j) MAKE SURE THE SUNROOF IS PROPERLY CLOSED (always go to the end of each ‘cycle’, otherwise it leaks).
k) BE GENTLE WITH THE INSTRUMENT STALKS. They’re a little brittle and you don’t want them snapping off on you, same applies to all other controls…
l) USE 3RD SUSPENSION POSITION WHEN GOING OVER BUMPY GROUND, but remember to put it back to 2nd (normal) afterwards. NEVER USE 1ST (lowest) OR 4TH (highest) position when driving or you will die!!
m) IF ANY RED LIGHTS COME ON WHATSOVER, STOP IMMEDIATELY AND CALL ME!!
n) REMEMBER THAT IF THE HYDRAULIC PRESSURE IS LOST, YOU LOSE ALL BRAKING POWER AND THE SUSPENSION WILL DROP. There is a small emergency reserve for the brakes but this will soon run out, so you will have to rely on the handbrake.
o) CALL ME IF YOU’RE UNSURE ABOUT ANYTHING. .

p) HAVE FUN!! THE CAR WAKES UP AFTER 4500 RPM ;-) "
Jezziebx16v

Post by Jezziebx16v »

Good manual Rob.........if you are lending the car to someone who has had there brain removed ! surely a 5 minute pep talk would do the job mate. Unless of coarse you are lending the car to someone who will need to be reminded constantly about things in which case why are you loaning the car to them :roll:

If it was my car and i felt the need to list that many instructions for them i'd not be letting them use it, most of what you have listed is commen sense evan to a non Citroen owner. Maybe i'm being a tad harsh but its what i'd be asking myself.

Jez
Past 16v's: 89 Ph1 Black, 90 Ph2 Grey, 89 Ph2 Black, 91 Ph2 Grey, 91 Ph2 Black.

Now. 94 Datsun Silvia S14 rice rocket, 85 Peugeot 505 Turbo, 77 Ford Capri.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

You must really trust your mate! :P :lol:

Seriously i wouldnt lend my P and J to anyone. I'd lend my MR2 but thats not really in P and J territory yet, sound like good points but explain the important ones as chances are he'll skim (not)read it!

fingers crossed!
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

tis a lot common sence tbh rob, but worth mentioning to a non citroenist!

where about s down here are they heading matey?? if theyre close and little things happen then i may be able to help out!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Toddman
Administrator

manual

Post by Toddman »

Sounds fair enough to me Rob.
Might be worth saying that the STOP light means just that but that it also comes on with various other lamps so he doesn't panic.

Also warn him about the dash lamps being on all th etime for when he drives at night.

Hope he gets bitten and comes back seekinmg a BX 16v :D

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Mandic
4000 rpm

Re: Am I being too anal??

Post by Mandic »

RobC wrote: p) HAVE FUN!! THE CAR WAKES UP AFTER 4500 RPM ;-) "
:lol:

I like this one 8)

overall, good manual

Cheers

Ziga
Image Don't run your life on diesel
docchevron1472
4000 rpm

Re: Am I being too anal??

Post by docchevron1472 »

RobC wrote: NEVER USE 1ST (lowest) OR 4TH (highest) position when driving or you will die!! "
:shock: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :shock:
1990 BX 16v Phase 2
1989 BX TD hybrid
1971 BL 350FG Ambulance (unique)
1993 Dennis Lance 132
That's when I reach for my Revolver
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

q) Get used to the brake pedal travel before you set off otherwise you'll be eating dashboard :?:

Mike P.
Founder member of the Phase 1 Appreciation Society!
- - - - -
'88 'F' White Bx16v - 62k miles & as seen on TV
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

You obviously care about yours :wink:
Mine are allways out on loan, the only things I tell them are about the stop light and give them my mobile No!
Out of sight out of mind and all that, if they break it, they pay, and I get free repairs

Most get a shock in the first few miles then come back asking to buy :P

Ollie
RobC
3000 rpm

Post by RobC »

hehe

he's a good mate, but on occasion seems to lack a little common sense. he's taken this in good humour anyway, because it's a joke amongst my friends how obsessive i am about the car!

the 1st thing he did when he sat down in the driver's seat was yank the handbrake up with such force that the cable snapped. ok, it was on its last legs, but still. i winced. anyway he's agreed to pay half the repair bill, and to be honest it's better that it snapped here than while he was on holiday.

i almost feel like tagging along because i've always wanted to sit in the back seat, it's so luxurious. doubt his gf would be impressed tho...
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Not a chance I would lend my 16v to anyone! :D I couldnt replace it if it got bent as this car an I have 8 years of history
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

He still wants to lend your car after seeing the list? :lol:
RichL
Tick Over

Post by RichL »

Make sure he knows how to turn the headlights on too.

When I bought my first 16v (1991 ph2) I spent two minutes at the traffic lights flashing and honking the horn at the bloke in front because I could see the light symbol on the stalk, but didnt realise you were supposed to twist it.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

headlights! in cornwall!! you only need them between the hours of 9pm and 7am!! and any self respecting man on holiday with his lady down here will be either in the pub or in bed at that time!!!! :D :D :D :wink:
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!