Who's on the road (or could be), who is Not?

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

Did i read that right! Tim is tackling jobs himself! :shock: :wink: :P

mine will always be kept in mot and insurance due to if ever needing it its only tax it and go, and thats the way i prefer it to be,

just at the mo like tim, funds down allow to keep it on the road! that and it hardly got used!:(
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Toddman
Administrator

valvers

Post by Toddman »

Thanks Dave and no need to worry I will always do my best to keep the forum and site going in fact I have been recently thinking about what I can do to update the main site as without Gary racing a BX regular news is hard to come by.
There are a few people who email me regarding valvers but don't use the forum but I certainly think we are a small group but it is suprising how many valvers are present on the bx club but sadly they don't use or maybe don't know of us.

Saw my mate this morning and my white one is going for an MOT next week only real concern is the rack or rack end it has been an advise for about 6 years LOL!

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
NZ16v
3000 rpm

Post by NZ16v »

My red'n'black is still goin strong, tried the flush out as suggested, didnt make any difference, so am looking at getting the head off and havin a poke around. The mechanical rattling does my head in when she is cold! She is on 150K, and would like to look inside, as i dont have a service history. Am in process of getting hold of chip from overseas-35 squid-bargain!, and looking into mild cam grind. Have a new parcel shelf ready to go onto the router at work-with 16v logo and all, and am quietly looking for a rough valver for parts. Would love 4 front seats with no bench in back, but these cars are gettin rare over here, with only one or two on trademe.co.nz in the past six months. Am off back to dads this weekend, to have a poke around with hydraulics,and a general tidy up-good to have an old man who was a citroen technician for 30 years! He has two DS', a light15, and a couple of 2cvs on the go, along with his immaculate phase1.
This site is fantastic, and i jump on an d have a look around a couple times a week.
Would rather be driving ONE 16v,than fixng TWO.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

found out today from ringing my mech to make sure my mot ticket arrived okay (posted as in a doofus mood i forgot to take it with me when i moved the car!) that my car has gone for its MOT! :shock: :? :)
kinda hoping for the best but you never know with these things do you!
annoyed at my self too as the wife's car was in for mot today and passed with onlyu a bulb to be replaced, normally i would have checked them over but had'nt got round to it!
we can but hope hey!!!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hey folks does anyone have any up to date figures on how many are actually still registerted in this country? or does anyone know how to find out?

cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

Timmo wrote:and passed with onlyu a bulb to be replaced, normally i would have checked them over but had'nt got round to it!
we can but hope hey!!!

it wouldn't help checking them first on my BX, for the last three years its blown a reg plate light on the rollers every time. The examiner and i now have a running bet on how long it will take to blow, then i swap out. Damn old cars!
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

thanuttiscotsman wrote:hey folks does anyone have any up to date figures on how many are actually still registerted in this country? or does anyone know how to find out?

cheers rossco
Write a letter to the DVLA and ask nicely. Seems the only way to do it, and i'm not sure they can tell you how many of a specific model there are (they can tell you there are a number of BX's but not 16v's)
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

haha! thats a typically frenchism then vanny! you can check it and check it until your blue in the face and it'll still spring a suprise on you!!

as for the amount left, 2-300 would be my guess??(16v's)
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

Wahoooooooo!
She Passed! the Ol'Girl Passed! Wahoooo! happy boy!

rear light earths played up a bit and emmisions was an issue as the stem seals have gone Rock hard but she's got a new ticket! all i need to do is get a stemseal softener and mech said will be sorted!

So anyone know of a good addative to soften the stem seals up??
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Just an update on Dan as a couple of people have asked - he does indeed still have his 16V and it was looking in fine fettle when I saw it a few weeks ago (popped in to their new pad in Newbury on our way back from Bristol).

Had seen it a few weeks previous to that when Dan came to pick it up from Witmuns and got as far as Reigate to pick up a bike only for the starter motor to give up the ghost on the bloke's drive! Luckily it push started OK and we ended up parking it back outside Witmun's for the starter motor to be changed :lol:

Dan himself was looking slightly less clever as he'd fallen off one of his bikes a few days before our visit to Newbury and broken his collar bone in very impressive style :shock:

On the DVLA question, it is possible to seperate trim levels so long as you have the right info.

The original record shows for model code 235, the model description is 'BX GTI 16V'. There is also a make and model code of 'CITR BX' so it might be possible to ask for all individual registrations under that heading, broken down by 'model' as that'll give the list under every model designation registered by Citroen with the DVLA.

I think the correct model code for the phase 2 is 384, model description 'BX 16V'

I'll see if I can get a run of data from DVLA but I'll need to identify someone helpful, which can be a challenge......

Adrian
Dave
3000 rpm

Post by Dave »

Timmo wrote:Wahoooooooo!
She Passed! the Ol'Girl Passed! Wahoooo! happy boy!

rear light earths played up a bit and emmisions was an issue as the stem seals have gone Rock hard but she's got a new ticket! all i need to do is get a stemseal softener and mech said will be sorted!

So anyone know of a good addative to soften the stem seals up??
Hmmm, Stemsel softener, is that something we should be adding anyway then?

Good to know it passed Timmo. :)
Prefer it to the Lamborghini, like Signor Gandini!
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Well, mine was laid up in March due to being too costly to use daily and too shonky to want to use daily.
I replaced it as a daily driver with a Fiesta Zetec S (no one will believe how good those little cars are) which I sold a little while back and replaced with an Alfa 156 V6, which is now for sale. The reason it's now for sale is that I want the valver back again and can't afford to run both along with the TVR, so a couple of days ago I got it MOT'd and she's running again. Part of getting the MOT meant finally getting the PAS sorted, which it now is! :D Only took 3.5years! A new flow valve did the trick, having changed the rack, pinion and ram back in the spring. The old pinion was stuffing each FDV I tried!

Only issues are tracking (new rack doesn't seem to adjust enough to stop toeing in), replacing the downpipe with the brand new genuine item I got for a tenner at CCC National (result!) and a rebuild/replacement of the head, as having reconditioned all the tappets I have now learned that my tapping issue is due to a bent inlet valve! :shock:

The valver is only insured on a classic limited miles policy, so it won't be a daily runner. I've had a 106 XSi in the garage for some time which I was originally fixing and selling on, but more recently decided to scrap it. Now, I'm throwing a wee bit of hard-earned on it to get it on the road as a daily driver/possible track toy. 8)
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Timmo wrote:Did i read that right! Tim is tackling jobs himself! :shock: :wink: :P

mine will always be kept in mot and insurance due to if ever needing it its only tax it and go, and thats the way i prefer it to be,

just at the mo like tim, funds down allow to keep it on the road! that and it hardly got used!:(
You read right mate, its a case of needs must, 2 members of this/other clubs have offered there services to repipe it for me but have since gone "deaf" when I tried to actually get it done. I am capable of changing most things but the lack of time and a ramp is the problem.
Toddman
Administrator

valvers

Post by Toddman »

That's good news Kitch - well about getting the BX back on the road not so good about the bent vaklve but at least you have found a reason which is the main thing.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Daniel B
4000 rpm

Post by Daniel B »

Hello everyone :D

Long time no see!

As already mentioned, my 16v is doing ok, a hefty £600 bill for the last service/MOT in spring was a little bit of a surprise, but that was a full service, and as also mentioned the bloody starter motor!

Still I have never changed it in 10 years, so I guess I shouldn't grumble.

The mileage it has been covered has been negligible, I have the Nissan estate I bought to commute in 2 years ago, and it's too reliable, and is worth too little to get rid of, plus it's an estate and has a towbar, so perfect for taking bikes, and assorted crap without me worrying about it.

Myself and my gf both cycle to work (different workplaces I hasten to add), so invariably the nissan gets used once a week for food shopping, and unless we go somewhere spcific, that's the only car journey we need to do - the town centre is only 10 minutes away too.

Technically I have no need for the BX, but technicalities have never carried much weight with me, and I don't see it changing now.

She's sat on the drive at the moment, with foliage growing around her, and I do feel a pang of guilt everytime I look at her, she needs a damned good clean, and probably a new battery by now, and then I need to try and get using her a bit more reguarly to keep her in good fettle.

Planning to get a new roof on the garage (Double 8) ) in the next few weeks, and then she will return to the garage, and I'm going to get a battery topper upper thing, as recommended by Adrian, to keep the battery fully charged for whenever I feel the urge.

Cheers

Dan