Ugly New addition!!!

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Mike E (uk)
4000 rpm

Post by Mike E (uk) »

You will at least need a re-gas, about £80 +VAT.

The garage near me fills them with gas, and if there is a leak, sucks the gas out again so you only have to pay for one load when it is fixed.

Mike
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

dan there is a place on ebay that have aircon condensers for the model you have (traveller??) for a resonable price!!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-NISSAN-PRIMER ... dZViewItem
shouldnt cost a great deal to get fitted either! could be a significant saving there!
as mike said would need a regass but if the condenser if dead then the system will be depressurised when its changed anyways! so a regass should be done anyways!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hi Dan,

Yup, its true these are DOHC but with a Timing chain and the 1.8S has NVTCS :? (Variable valve timing).
As far as changing the chain/tensioner they are supposed to last the life of the vehicle so no mention of maintenance on these items.

Have you had yours on the rev. limiter yet? First time I hit it I nearly ended up on the bonnet.

Cheers
Daniel B
4000 rpm

Post by Daniel B »

Thanks all - good link Timmo (yes I think it is a traveller, shall I get some fake wood to stick on the rear of the bodywork?), hadn't seen that - the other place came back to me with a qoute of about £130, so this place beats them hands down!

I don't know the complexities of fitting it, will have to give Witmun a call as he said he could do it, maybe an hours labour for someone who knows what they are doing, + the regas, about £250 all in - I'm still going to leave it til next spring though, but will book mark the ebay seller.

Thanks for the timing chain info Tony - good news indeed, and no I haven't hit the rev limiter yet, and won;t be this weekend withthe bikes on the back either :lol:

Incidentally, the other contenders were:

Citroen Xsara HDI - bit over what I wanted to spend:

2K for a Y reg with about 40K on the clock!

Something that makes the Primera look like a goddess - 2K, for a 2001 model, with 26K on the clock!

Don't see many of these about, all it lacked was aircon - £2750, for a 01 model with 50k on the clock.

Enjoy :lol:

Public embarassment on offer for the first person to name all 3 cars correctly!

Dan
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

heheh! i think you have the best choice there dan! the marea weekend are big old cars but all the ones i have seen have been Beet to death! revvy engines though! but parts are Very expensive!!
at least witht he nissan you have all the jap spares places!!
Dan, have a looksy around for a boot cover matey, that way if you and the good lady have had a particul;arly spirited cycle through the trails you can bung all the gear in the back then hose it off when you get home!

If your ever down this way let me know as i would willingly pass the polishes over it for you matey! and could alwyas go for a blast out on my fav ride!!

tony the rev limiter on them is more like a Kill switch!! (had a handfull of cars on the forecourt that i got handed the keys to and asked to 'go and clear them out' !!! 8) mind you its better than the vectra's traction control! that ought to be Power kill!! controlls the traction by removing All power to the wheels!! :D
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Daniel B
4000 rpm

Post by Daniel B »

Hi Timmo,
yes I reckon your right - well once the wooden cladding is fitted anyway.

I have seen those boot covers, but can I really be bothered.....??
£30 or so by the looks of it, might just stick a plastic dustsheet in there if I am worried tbh.

Would be nice to come down to Cornwall with the bikes, and if we do will defo pop by, hopefully within the next 8 months we should be moving closer to your part of the world anyway - Berkshire way.

Cheers

Dan
cavmad
Tick Over

Post by cavmad »

Brilliant cars, utterly reliable and will soak up big miles easily.

As for the pictures I`ll say: Fiat Marea, Daewoo (Tecuma?) and Subaru (Legacy?).
Personal choice for me out of all would be your car first closely followed by the Subaru and the other two would be so far down the page they`d drop off the table!
Recovery, delivery/collection and scrap and unwanted vehicles collected West Cheshire area. Cash paid for most abandoned, unwanted and scrap vehicles if local, anything considered.
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

think the last one is a Suzuki, isn't it?
Daniel B
4000 rpm

Post by Daniel B »

The first one is indeed a Fiat Marea Weekend

Second car is a Daewoo/Chevrolet Nubira - the Tacuma is even more hideous - you wouldn't think that was possible would you, but....

Image :shock:

The last car, I'll agree it bears a bit of a resemblance to the Legacy, but Adrians got it, it's a Suzuki Baleno, that well known car, bit of a smaller estate, more Focus sized really.

Dan
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

the suzuki's are a rare car! a mate had a baleno hatch! nice solid little motor though! dont think i have ever seenan estate version though!
Dan, your right mate that car is hideous! how coulsd anyone buy one for its visual appeal is beyond me!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!