a new member :)

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Viktor
Tick Over

a new member :)

Post by Viktor »

hello. i'm new member from lithuania. (sorry for my english) i have 1988 12 , bx 1.9gti 16v and i love it :inlove: :)
allmost all of the mechanick parts are changet , even all the hidraulick is new...
the body is in allmost perfecy condition , only the engine hood was a bit broken so i had to fix it but didint have time to paint it yet... by the way i love original alloy weels :)

but i have few big problems :
1. ABS dont work (i changet abs block but that didnt help :( i thik that problem may be in the abs controler or the sensors ...
2. when start the engine it dosent have idle rpms :( when ir is worm idle rpm is 1.5k :( its because ecu is not the original but 0261200162 from 1.9 8v 88kw . in our cauntry i cant find another one that woual be from mi16 :( so you are my last hope :)
maby i could buy one from you ? and what about shiping ?
bx 1988 12. 1.9l gti 16v
Viktor
Tick Over

Post by Viktor »

all most forgot . the stop and coolant level laps are burning all the time ... (it started few years ago , but then it only lithed up when you give more revs for engine ... later it started to do that often , and noe it lights all the time ... the coolant is good ... so witch sensor should i chek ?

but the radiator - from opel corsa (1.1 or 1.3 :D ) so at sumer its is very hot in the car :( and again it is big problem to find fiting radiator to this car in lithuania ... co i'll have to do somthing about that when the weather will be a bit wormer :)

and again sorry for my english :(
bx 1988 12. 1.9l gti 16v
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

Welcome Viktor!
Rest assured your english is far better than my lithuanian!

the water level light thats on could well be the small black box that is positioned on the edge of the right handside of the radiator?? i know mine used to play up, but a clean up fo the contacts and a light smear of vasalene (petroleum jelly) solved it! (if you have time its worth doing the same with all the electrical blocks in the engine bay, especially those behind the battery tray)

on the main site here there is an ABS system test which you need a multimeter for but allows you to test the sensors from inside the car to check which one is faulty, ( http://www.bx16valve.co.uk/19.html and click on ABS pages)

the idling could be something to do with the ECU but, fitting the correct one may not solve the problem! a couple members here have idling issues!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Toddman
Administrator

hello

Post by Toddman »

Hi Viktor
Nice car you have there and I am sure you will be able to sort out the little niggles without much bother.

ABS - is invariably a broken sensor wire and the citroen test pages are available on the mainsite under Downloads - Technical Info

The stop light and coolant level indicator is often caused by dirty contacts on the level proble - this is the sensor at the bottom of the water bottle, simply unplug the cable and then remove the sensor by twisting it to unlock, it is sealed with a rubber washer - you should see a pair of electrodes that sit in the water so give these a clean up and see how it goes but new units are quite cheap from Citroen.

Finding an ecu shouldn't be too hard you can try ebay or just post a wanted in our wanted section.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Viktor
Tick Over

Post by Viktor »

thanks for information :) i'll try to clean the sensor :) but how do you think is it posible that ecu isin't the problem (or maby i can just instal the tiuned chip ?) ?

the thing is that i'm allmost 18 and it's my first car (dad's gift :P ) and i have to make it 100% good till summer(my birthday). it's wery rear car in our cauntry (i know only 4 + myne) and its dificul to get needet parts :( maybe you know hom much (aprox) would cost the shiping ?
bx 1988 12. 1.9l gti 16v
Toddman
Administrator

ecu

Post by Toddman »

That ecu part number tells me it is from a Peugeot 309 1.9 8v like you say.
The pug will be running a Motronic 1.3 system so it all sounds reasonable but of course the chip in the ecu will not be suited to your 16v so an easy fix would be to fit a replacement 16v chip which is for the mi16/BX 16v.

But you may find a 3 row ecu for the 16v on ebay or in our wanted section but your idea should work ok.

In fact I did have a 3 row chip that Robin Hughes one of our members used so maybe he has it or the std item spare so worth dropping him a pm.

Cheers
Luke
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hi and welcome to the club! is it a 3 row ecu you need? i have a spare one in my garage i could part with. from my experience your abs problem is most likely to be a sensor. as for the water light check the plug connection on the water expansion tank, that one got me for a while lol im not sure but do bx diesels etc have more similar radiators?

cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

rosco, ebing the age it is i would hazzard a guess at a 2 row!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Viktor
Tick Over

Post by Viktor »

"rosco, ebing the age it is i would hazzard a guess at a 2 row!" - sorry i dont understand ? what do you mean ?

car had a cat long time ago and the ecu is 3row.

and what about abs sensors ? how much they cost ? because dont reali think that i fill find a new one...

ans what about selling ecu ? whats the ecus nuber ? and maby you know something about shipping procedure ?
bx 1988 12. 1.9l gti 16v
Toddman
Administrator

Post by Toddman »

Timmo wrote:rosco, ebing the age it is i would hazzard a guess at a 2 row!
Read the thread :D
Viktor stated the ecu number and I checked it out - it is a Motronic 1.3 so should be a 3 row item.

Viktor if you look at your ecu where the large plug connects it to the wiring loom there will be lots of pins - there will be either 2 long rows or 3 long rows.

My understanding is if it is the ecu you say then it should have 3 rows and this means the item Rossco has should fix your ecu problems.

Cheers
Luke
Last edited by Toddman on Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Viktor
Tick Over

Post by Viktor »

o thx now i understand . yes my ecu has 3rows. i had opened it some time ago , to see maybe there is something wrong with electrinics ... i sow that the ecu was opened before me , some of the contacts were soldered...
bx 1988 12. 1.9l gti 16v
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

mybad!
sorry, i assumed because it was a phase one it would be on a 2 row, did see the number but not knowing what the different numbers are i had no idea lol!
will keep quiet next time! :wink:

sensors wise, any Bx with abs will have the sensors, i dont know if they are matchable across different model ranges in the PSA stable, but any bx with abs will have them (thinking Breakers yards!)

i dont have any spares otherwise i'd offer to post one out to you!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
surjit25
4000 rpm

Post by surjit25 »

Judging from the pic and year given it is a phase 1 and should be a non-cat
2 row ECU but maybe somewhere along the line someone changed
some bits here and there and ended up with a 3 row ECU.
The ECU no given is from the CAT'd versions of Cits and Pugs
which have 3 row and use a air flow meter Bosch part nos ending 202.
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hi there, yes i have an ecu spare in my garage if u want it. i bought it off ebay ages ago to find it was the wrong one for my car so i dont need it, both my cars are 2 row type. anyway the bosch no of my one is 0 261 200 354. as for abs sensors you can probably get them from citroen or maybe on ebay.

rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
Viktor
Tick Over

Post by Viktor »

i watched in autodata , that there wore 3 difrent bx 16v...
d6c 116kw 87-90 (ecu 0261200119)
d6c 118kw 91-93 (ecu 0261200354)
dwf 108kw 86-63 R-cat (ecu 0261200158)
is it corect ? as i see from the years mine is dwf ? but will it normaly work with the newer (354) ecu ?
bx 1988 12. 1.9l gti 16v