What to do?

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
ruffgeezer
Tick Over

What to do?

Post by ruffgeezer »

I'm an Ax'er at heart.

Hell I've had 30 or more of them, and my latest project is a long way off the finish line, but I've two options available at the moment;

I've been hankering for a 4 door ax since I sold my gt5 years ago, and a rough but usable one is available cheaply, and locally. The plan being to gut the shell and take a saxo vtr off the road to build into it hehehe.

Option 2 is the fact my boss has been making noises about his 16v, its a ph1 on an F plate, the laquer is in very poor nick but the engine has covered 90k and the shell is rust free. As yet he's not named a price, whats a good offer?

So what do I do? Build a ratshed pocket rocket, or get a scruffy valver?
surjit25
4000 rpm

Post by surjit25 »

Get the bigger valver, it handles speed better more stable.
I have driven a modified AX and it's a bit scary maybe becoz of it's size.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

You'll be Very suprise by the valver matey! Such an undeerated car!

Ax's are great little cars and very nippy, can be modded and look good, used to be a bit of an Ax fraternity in my old town, looked great, but the valvers are in a different league! :wink:
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
RichL
Tick Over

Post by RichL »

Wasn't there some mad genius who posted here once who was shoehorning the Mi16 motor into an AX? Or did the angry pitchfork bearing mob drag him away before Igor could complete the transplant?
ruffgeezer
Tick Over

Post by ruffgeezer »

that might have been Lee,

He ended up with a rear engined ax, I sourced him an xm turbo to nick the engine from.

Thing is a well modded ax vts will happily outrun the 16v, but I've never driven a good 16v in anger.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

you've been toying with the idea of having a BX for years now, surprised you haven't taken the plunge (or at least the valver round the block) yet. The BX is nothing like the AX, yet so very very similar.

AX is light, chuckable, simple and a damn good laugh.

BX is light, slightly less chuckable, simple and a damn good laugh.

It really is just a grown up AX i find, not as good on fuel, but so much more, a lot more comfort and versatility. I dont think you will be dissapointed by a BX. The added size and stability do make it a little less hair raising than a bean can on rims (by that i mean the AX).
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hiya, defo go for a valver or you will just never know what its like to have one. after 30 ax's surely its time for a change? bx is amazing fun, though it helps alot to know a bit about how they tick. as for an offer, with 90k and rust free i'd pay £500 happily, if you have a compressor like me then a re-spray will cost £200 and take 48 hrs.
ruffgeezer wrote: Thing is a well modded ax vts will happily outrun the 16v,
erm, i doubt it very much, my 16v would bite it, chew it and spit it back out! lol

cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

rossco, a well modded vts lump in the ax would beat a valver fella! the ax only weighs a few grams!

i do remember the guy who was going to drop one in the ax, was on the old forum, would have been a mental car!!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Toddman
Administrator

valver

Post by Toddman »

Hiya mate.
You should of grabbed the GT5 off us when we let it go but Phils valver needs a good home so I say go for it.
That P1 is a good car and will make a brilliant daily drive 8)

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Having put a standard Phase 1 Bx 16v up against a standard K reg Ax GT (not Gti), the Ax can hold the Valver off to 80mph and then runs out of puff as the Valver pulls away :D

For the record, I was in the Valver and the Valvers owner was driving the Ax which was another mates car that we had picked up to fix :lol:

If your boss does want to part with the car, I'd consider having another Phase 1.

Mike P.
Founder member of the Phase 1 Appreciation Society!
- - - - -
'88 'F' White Bx16v - 62k miles & as seen on TV
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

Timmo wrote:rossco, a well modded vts lump in the ax would beat a valver fella! the ax only weighs a few grams!
really? :shock: if thats the case then wtf am i doing with a bx? an ax vts faster than a 16v, that is quite surprising! and i eat my own words!. although saying that, when i've finnished my ph1 project with the k+n, weber, scorpion, turbo and nos im sure the scale will tilt back the other way :D

i spotted a well modded ax up here 2 days ago actually, it did look very neat indeed. maybe i should have a go with an ax as a more economical daily thrash, as im simply all about speed, the faster it goes the bigger my grin!!! :D

cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

rossco, if you look at the stats on the gt it came with 90brake lump but weighed in the 700kg region! yeah we have 70 brake more but alwo have 300kg extra! the Vts lump runs 120brake std. that mod alone makes for a Very rapid ax! the vts lump is easily tunable to 145 brake with cams, chip, mani filter etc.
think about 145 brake in a 700kg car!

Citroen did very well at building light fast cars in that era before all the safety gubbins added all the extra weight! iirc the saxo vts is something like 980kg?? (much like the 205 gti)
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
ruffgeezer
Tick Over

Re: valver

Post by ruffgeezer »

Toddman wrote:Hiya mate.
You should of grabbed the GT5 off us when we let it go but Phils valver needs a good home so I say go for it.
That P1 is a good car and will make a brilliant daily drive 8)

Cheers
Luke
Yeah, I looked at it luke but my little girl hadn't long been born so it was just bad timing for me.

I don't think the bx is going to happen, as having pressed him for a price, he doesn't appear to want to sell, and if he did I'd be looking at near a grand, not a chance.

I'm going to hold on for a povvo spec 5 dr to build a saxo into.

Oh and to cap it off, the front bushes on the xantiabus are completly bollocksd too :(
Toddman
Administrator

valver

Post by Toddman »

^^ I think Phil is rather attached to his valver but sadly if he doesn't do something with it it will just end up a basket case and it is far too good to let that happen :(

Congrats on the little un mate it was the arrival of my brothers 3rd but 1st boy that sort of nailed the AX project LOL!

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Think I've seen you on AXOC fella.

For my money, and this is a totally impartial view as I love all these cars, the BX is the more special car.

I've owned 4 GTs and a GTi, and 4 BX valvers. The BX's are quicker for sure. I've also got a Saxo VTS and although the Saxo does go respectably, the BX (well mine at least, can't comment on anyone elses!) would definately have it. Wouldn't be a million miles ahead until it hit the ton.
Thing is on paper a Saxo VTS can do the 60mph dash in the same sort of time as a BX valver, but people forget the BX has two gearchanges in that, as it only does 54mph (roughly) in second with a standard limiter. The VTS does 62mph, so the BX has to be a fair bit quicker in gear to achieve a similar time and equal the VTS.

Agreed putting the VTS setup in an AX would make a very quick weapon. I've always wanted to do it. VTR in an AX? I'm not so sure, they don't really have the legs of a twin cam lump.

Overall an AX with VTR lump wouldn't figure for me. An AX VTS, with well sorted suspension, brakes etc could pip a BX 16v, but depending on what you want. The BX is rarer and definately more interesting to own. The AX's party piece would be speed, nothing else. With the BX you get the odd looks, the fantastic way it holds the roads and deals with bumps at speed, the retro-rarity and then theres the Mi16 howl!

I'd say you're probably more AX at heart, but the best days I've had in cars came from a time where I was running an AX GT and a BX 16v at the same time. It's amazing how much the valver feels like a bigger mk1 AX GT. They even use the same column stalks and seat fabric.

As it happens, I've got a 1990 BX 16v I'm going to sell as an unfinished project :wink: