Faded Triton Green fibreglass bonnet

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Daniel B
4000 rpm

Faded Triton Green fibreglass bonnet

Post by Daniel B »

Hello chaps,

ntoiced the paint on the bonnet is rather faded, most other panels are comparitively unaffected.

Short of a respray, what would anyone suggest to try and improve the situation?

I was thinking T-Cut would be a bit too harsh, and maybe not ideal on fibreglass?

So was thinking maybe some Autoglym paint renovator, and then some coloured wax might help the process?

Any suggestions or advice?

Cheers

Dan
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

Mines been T-Cutted several times and the paint's been unaffected and the results are exactly as you's expect.

But, mine's a solid colour and Triton is metallic is it not? So, could be a different kettle of fish...
Now listen here you mullet...
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

Sorry, he's right - fade and metalic don't go well! T cut isn't that harsh and anyway they do one for metallics so you do'nt burn through the lacqeur. the fibreglas point is irrelevant - you are cutting the paint, not gel coat or structure! you'd have to rub bloody hard for a very long time to get that far down!
The key thing to remember is all your doing is smoothing the surface of the clear layer, if the problems with the coloured base coat then its respray time, and there are a few shades of triton......
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

I was under the impression the paint on the fibreglass is different to that on the steel? Something about regular 2pac paints damaging the gel coat? Don't get me wrong, i know rubberised flooring paints, and house paints and thats my lot!
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

T-cut isnt that harsh, But! it doesnt break down when its being used and normally creates as much in the way of defects as it solves!
the laquer will have faded in the same way that a bold colour does, you shouldnt have any fears of Burning through either as even with machine polishing your only removing 5-10 microns from a 70micron thick coating (laquer thickness), and it takes a Lot of effort pressure wise ont he top of the machine at full tilt to burn through on your average car!
you'll be best of with a Fine/medium fine compound, 3M (cant remember the specific name of them at the mo), Farecla G10, Poorboys SSR 2, etc,
any good private motor factors or somewhere like Brown brothers/ Hex Holdings will stock them, but it'll be in 1L bottles!!
a few of the detailing supplies shops do sample sizes of them to make it a bit easier, occasionally you can find them on ebay in sample sizes too,

you could always give Paul a shout and see what his opinion is on it, he may be willing to do you up a sample pot of the van!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Daniel B
4000 rpm

Post by Daniel B »

Thanks chaps,

that gives me something to be going on with, I will make a start on this in the next few weeks, something for the long summer evenings ;-)

Will post back up with results.

Cheers

Dan