Autobahn Thrash

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hey fellas, my ph1 valver has a pug sport chip with an 8k limit and will easy bounce off the limiter in 5th gear. speedo was reading around 140 mark but dont know the exact number, as you can guess my eyes were on the road not the dash.
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

The speedo is NOT accurate over about 100mph, typically they are out at 70mph so i wouldn't believe it! Also, bouncing off an 8k limiter is a very good way to make the engine go pop, unless you've gone down the route of blue printing the engine and thus made it better than it left the factory, but even then i would be ver cautious.

I've seen 144mph in a fully stripped down valver (no interior, no sunroof, lightened in various places, sticky tyres) though i question the accuracy of the speed trap! Would the quickest way to increase vmax be to stick 22" alloys on?
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

Vanny wrote:Would the quickest way to increase vmax be to stick 22" alloys on?
Maybe marginally, but you'd just need more power to turn the fuckers! Add to that the fact that as speed increases, drags does too and as your power is drained by the extra unsprung weight the effect of drag would be multiplied.
Now listen here you mullet...
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

oin the 17's the Ol'Girl used to be 1.5mph out on the speedo compared to the gps, on the std 14's was 6mph out, i would guess on that basis for My car that 18's 'Should' read equal to the gps,

i did read a fair while back about the theoretical amount of extra Grunt you'd need to get form 140 to 150, something like an extra 30-40bhp??
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

thanuttiscotsman wrote:hey fellas, my ph1 valver has a pug sport chip with an 8k limit and will easy bounce off the limiter in 5th gear. speedo was reading around 140 mark but dont know the exact number, as you can guess my eyes were on the road not the dash.
Thats a pretty special one you got there, even tuned engines would struggle to bounce on 8k revs in 5th. You're talking 155-160mph.
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

Kitch wrote:
thanuttiscotsman wrote:hey fellas, my ph1 valver has a pug sport chip with an 8k limit and will easy bounce off the limiter in 5th gear. speedo was reading around 140 mark but dont know the exact number, as you can guess my eyes were on the road not the dash.
Thats a pretty special one you got there, even tuned engines would struggle to bounce on 8k revs in 5th. You're talking 155-160mph.
Seconded. 20mph per 1000rpm = 160mph @ 8k and i would eat my mums penis if a stock Valver could do it in 5th. It takes several miles of severe hooning on favorable tarmac to tickle the 7.2k limit of a stocker. (and that's if it would do it at all). Of the 5 roadworthy valvers i've owned only 2 of them would scrape the limiter.
Now listen here you mullet...