New member from Australia

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
nigel
Tick Over

New member from Australia

Post by nigel »

Hi All,

Im looking at purchasing a 1993 BX 16V. Its got 145XXXkm and has been unregistered for 12 months. The owner doesnt want very much for it and Im very tempted even though it needs a new clutch and probably pressure plate.

The Aus delivered BX16V did not have the 119kW/160HP motor instead we got a lower compression cat eqyuipped 108kW/145HP motor. Still they were pretty quick compared to other stuff around at the time.

Still need to look at prices for a clutch kit. Are they expensive in your part of the world? Its been suggestted that it may be cheaper to source a kit from the UK.

The car has a rust hole at the top of the LHD A pillar and a bit on the pillar hiidden by the door. Doesnt look too serious. Unfortunately I cant drive it due to the clutch issue. It starts easy but the engine check light goes on and off intermitently. Comes with 4 spare Speedlines, ECU, ABS control unit, ABS solenoid valve unit, Seats, heater box, front rear axle suspension assemblies and thats what I can remember. Owner got spares from another BX 16 V wreck. Oh it has a cracked front bumper.
What else should I look for?

Ive got some pics but do not know how to post them.
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Sounds pretty good from here, especially with the spares. Check the rear wheels aren't at a silly negative camber, make the sure suspension is supple and smooth in operation, not sticky and check for any leaks from the suspension/brakes.

A-pillar rust is going to be a common thing now, I wouldn't let it put me off and just get on with sorting it. The K-light I'm not sure on, but a spare ECU might just do the trick! Mine doesn't have a k-light, so not sure how to read them.

Otherwise to be honest I'd expect little niggling faults due to it's age/the fact it hasn't moved etc.

Clutch wise you'd be fine here, £80 or so gets you a 3 piece LUK/Valeo number. Shame you can't get the D6C over there though, but a cat model is better than nothing!

Welcome BTW