How many 16v left

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
bxmark
3000 rpm

How many 16v left

Post by bxmark »

Does anyone know home many 16v bx's are left on the road/sorned it would be nice to find out , I have 1 of 81 Zx16's left in the uk , can't wait till Friday to get it taxed and get her on the road , I just love this car and can't see ever parting with her after parting with some nice bx16v's in the past because of circumstances ( house ) I'll not part with this , Mark
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

I don't know - although i have enough details of the DVLA model codes (these are specific to trim levels as well as model type) that I could potentially get the info from someone helpful....

I work in DfT but not directly with anyone at DVLA.

I think in the past this info has been requested by various car clubs with varying levels of success - I'll give it a go out of interest. Should be possible to split by p1/p2 16V as well.
bxmark
3000 rpm

Post by bxmark »

I have done a vehicle search on the dvla website and none of the 4 16valvers and 1 gti i have had have been taxed for well over 10 years so it doesn't bode well for any of those , Mark
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

I thought my p2 had been scrapped after it sold on ebay for beer tokens - then it appeared again recently! Reason it didn't show up on a DVLA taxation search is the owner had stuck a private plate on it, so the original showed up as not known :shock:

Model codes are applied when the car is 1st registered, so that part of the registration record shouldn't change. It's not quoted on the V5c, so not something publically known.

I can only ask - if they don't want to help that's fair enough, as it's not their job to answer random questions from punters, but they were helpful in resolving an issue I had with an incorrectly issued MOT that didn't account for a plate swap so the MOT was shorter than it should have been. The MOT duration check is done on reg plate, not VIN.......
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

i still have 2 8)
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

i'll punt a figure out that i would have thought maybe 150 left??
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

OK, I've done some initial digging on this, based on data I hold.

There are 2 'model codes' that relate to the 16V - #235 relates to the 'BX GTI 16V', #384 relates to 'BX 16V'

These codes are issued in sequence to car manufacturers to identify a new trim level, so you get a few new BX trims, then some XM, AX, ZX etc etc.

In total there are 70 unique codes for the Citroen BX.

The BX 16V one is the final one, which makes me think there isn't a nice neat cut off between what we would refer to as p1 or p2 shape 16V. What I might have to try and do is get a date range for earliest and latest registered for both codes - the problem with that will be the inevitable dealer that had a handful of p1 16Vs that they couldn't shift till a year or more after they were built!!

I will try to get figures for the number of vehicles ever registered to those 2 codes, and the number still live in the database.

A friend has agreed to provide me a contact who should have access to run a simple query - luckily no data protection issues involved!

Adrian
Dave
3000 rpm

Re: How many 16v left

Post by Dave »

bxmark wrote:Does anyone know home many 16v bx's are left on the road/sorned it would be nice to find out , I have 1 of 81 Zx16's left in the uk , can't wait till Friday to get it taxed and get her on the road , I just love this car and can't see ever parting with her after parting with some nice bx16v's in the past because of circumstances ( house ) I'll not part with this , Mark
I like the Zx16, good engine and straight forward car. I have a Volcane ready for a new rear beam when I get round to it. Have one ready to strip and replace bearings etc. then on it goes.

Citroens just are not the same any more. :(

Will be good to know how many Bx's are left
Prefer it to the Lamborghini, like Signor Gandini!
Daniel B
4000 rpm

Post by Daniel B »

Very interesting Adrian, be intrigued to see what you can unearth.

I would like to make a 'live on the database' guess, and I think we all should just for a bit of fun - or something :D

Phase I's: 55
Phase II's: 132

Cheers

Dan
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

Ph1 = 39
Ph2 = 80

Though i suspect the "still registered" quantity will be very diffent to reality. At least 3 that i know to have been scrapped still show on the database...

Winner gets a free pint from everyone else :lol:
Now listen here you mullet...
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Adrian E wrote:There are 2 'model codes' that relate to the 16V - #235 relates to the 'BX GTI 16V', #384 relates to 'BX 16V'
That's where we're going to have fun....mines down as a GTi 16v on the logbook, yet is a ph2! Can't remember for sure, but I think the other ph2's I've owned have been the same deal.
bxmark
3000 rpm

Post by bxmark »

My guess would be 86 phase 1's and 125 phases 2's , I know back in the day the 16v was quite an expensive car and quite a few started life as company cars , 3 out of the four I had were ex fleet , f833 lnm bought at 4 years old for £3000 with 79k and fsh , g433 ybh 3 years old 80k fsh and £2700 and g111 dab 5 years old 84k fsh and £2500 , my last one was a privately owned one which I bought in 1997 with 1 owner from new and fsh this car was in silver with 124k on the clock but a very nice car the price was £1200 ,I have done a dvla check an the silver one's tax last expired in 1999, it's a bit sad really as they were all nice cars and amazing value for money and very reliable , the only breakdown was a faulty coil , and beleive me the first two got driven hard but never missed a beat , xr3i , gte's and the rest of the often stolen hot hatch brigade couldn't get near the bx for me , a bit crazy when you see rs turbos , gte 16v astras fetching crazy money now and they don't drive anything like a 16v , Mark
RobC
3000 rpm

Post by RobC »

mine's definitely down as a 'GTi 16 valve' too - even though it's a phase 2.5 (i.e. post 1991 le mans interior and knock sensor)
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

just been and checked mine and its down as a bx gti 16v too, werent the ones down as such an insurance group higher to those as just Bx 16v's?? or was that just a myth??
its an early P2, monza trim, P1 running system (cant remember the code as always got it wrong loL!) but has both electric mirrors, RP number puts mine the same day ish build as Kitch's too, (less than 10 different iirc??) was built very Early jan 90, reg'd 30/04/90,
iirc, Luke's white P2 was built before by a few months, reg'd after mine but had the monza trim pre leather but only elecy passenger mirror??

what ever the official result, +1 as mine's Still alive but sorn'd, :wink:
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Think my RP's 4813 IIRC.

Mine's still alive, but SORN. However, with a new doseur, some wiring adjustments, some tracking and a coolant leak fix will see it MOT'd and back on the road in the next month or so.