How many 16v left

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

i pretty damn sure mines 4803. know it was wiuth in a couple of days of youirs, but its 30 odd miles away so cant nip out and double check! :x
that and cant find the picture i took of it lol!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

I HAVE NUMBERS!!

Had an e-mail from a contact with records by the above 2 model codes with details of those licensed and SORNed at the end of each quarter - the details on licensed goes back to q4 of 1994, the SORNed goes back to its introduction (IIRC) in q4 2007.

It would appear that the 'BX 16V' model code was barely used - it may well reflect the number of catalyst equipped cars, rather than a distinction between p1/p2.

I don't have total numbers registered, but back in q4 1994 there were 3430 'BX GTI 16V' licensed, and only 2 'BX 16V' - however, rather strange this, the maximum number of 'BX 16V' entries isn't reached until q4 1998, when a grand total of 9 are licensed :shock:

Of the 'BX GTI 16V' entries, the numbers drop VERY quickly. From that headline figure of 3430, we get down to 1517 by the end of 2000 (by which time there's 8 'BX 16V' entries, a year later and it's 1013/6, then 612/4.

The most up to date figures are for the end of q2 2010. At this time, there are:

Licensed:
BX GTI 16V - 72
BX 16V - 1

SORNed:
BX GTI 16V - 66
BX 16V - 1

So a fair guesstimate of numbers left in existence in the UK would be no more than ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY!!!!

I'm really shocked at that, but it really does point to why you don't see another as regularly as you might have done in years gone by. Certainly when I bought my old p2 in 2000 there were still almost 50% of the numbers registered still around. By my calculations, that figure is now around 4%!!
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

wow! :shock: im very surprised there are so little of them left. but i suppose it only makes them more special :D being more rare . me being a lucky git i still have a ph1 and a ph2 8) . i have to say i doubt the cars i have will ever leave my clutches :wink: although my ph2 is more or less kept for parts, even although it is a nearly finnished project, but i doubt i will ever put it on the road. i have had it for 5 years and its cost me £2250.00 to store it so far since then and although to some it might seem mad i simply wouldnt part with it.

rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Very interesting reading:

Shocking loss rate but not surprising considering how many have been robbed of their engines for 205 conversions etc.

Considering they were a mass produced car, I was hoping for more to be left.

If there are only 140 left in the UK, it should be time to make that fact known in wider circles in an effort to raise prices of the last few.

Adrian, would your contact be able to provide the figures this time next year, so we can see the yearly loss :?:

Mike P
Founder member of the Phase 1 Appreciation Society!
- - - - -
'88 'F' White Bx16v - 62k miles & as seen on TV
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

And it's also interesting that almost as many are off the road as are on.

How many of those would ever be in a condition to be road going again is the million dollar question.

It does explain why you don't see another one on the road and that so few crop up that we don't already know about :!:

Mike P
Founder member of the Phase 1 Appreciation Society!
- - - - -
'88 'F' White Bx16v - 62k miles & as seen on TV
Gary C
4000 rpm

Post by Gary C »

Bertie has been a track car since 92 so is not licensed or SORN so is probably not included in the numbers.
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

I suspect a fair few will be SORNed for half the year and licensed the other half (I know ours is!) so not necessarily a fair reflection, but you're right there's probably a core of 30-40 SORNed cars that are either scrap, or the paperwork just hasn't been done to declare the fact they've been broken up.

I have quarterly figures for every year - it's been a pretty dramatic decline!

I'll try graphing it in Excel and saving the chart as a jpeg so I can stick it on photobucket.

I can probably get a refresh of the data, but not all that regularly/reliably as we'll be having a major shake up kicking in good and proper after the spending review and nobody knows what they'll be doing, or if they'll have a job :(

I'm only there till Xmas then I'm taking a 2 year career break till it all settles down again - swapping full time parenting duties for the little fella :D
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Good work on getting the numbers! Looks like the 'BX 16v' code wasn't really used then.

Does explain why you never see them on the road. Maybe we should attempt to make a new register for the remaining cars. Fresh approach etc.
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Gary C wrote:Bertie has been a track car since 92 so is not licensed or SORN so is probably not included in the numbers.
Yep, agreed Gary - could Bertie be made road legal again, or too much hassle to bother?!
bxmark
3000 rpm

Post by bxmark »

Good work Adrian on getting the facts & figures together , it's a very sad decline but hopefully the survivors will be in the hands of enthusiasts and will lead a pampered existance , would there be any possibility of some figures for the 16v Zx please ? I know these sold around the 400 mark and I have read there are 80/81 remaining , any details/info would be gratefully received , I know I will NEVER part with mine , you can keep your Aston , Porsche and ferraris this little lady is my dream car ,thanks , Mark
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

top stuff Adrian!
i'm guessing the Mass demise in numbers would be when things like Sphere's started going and people got scared by the repair costs (most without actually finding out how much it would be to repair) and the Silly little money they changed hands for in the Pug circles!!!

of the 150 or so left, How many do we have here active or known of?? (inc. those on the Bx club that dont use here??)
i know mine could be back on the road with a weekends effort, so isnt destined for the heap just yet! :shock: :D :D :wink:
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
bxmark
3000 rpm

Post by bxmark »

Get a Zx 16v timmo while there's still a few nice ones around , i'm over the moon with mine , seen a few around the £750/£1000 figure , imagine two valvers a Bx & Zx what a combination , Mark
Gary C
4000 rpm

Post by Gary C »

Adrian E wrote:
Gary C wrote:Bertie has been a track car since 92 so is not licensed or SORN so is probably not included in the numbers.
Yep, agreed Gary - could Bertie be made road legal again, or too much hassle to bother?!
I have all the docs and Bertie has lights fore and aft etc so should be possible to get MOT for him.
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

go for it :lol: shame to just leave him sitting on the trailer (which I presume is where he is?!)
RobC
3000 rpm

Post by RobC »

Thanks a lot for this info Adrian - I suddenly feel a little bit special being the custodian of such a beast.

MoT coming up...