Morettes

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
BrianK
Tick Over

Morettes

Post by BrianK »

I've got the Morette quad conversion on my 16V and just noticed that the two inners have rusty reflectors. Then I noticed that all 4 lamps say Cibie not Morette. Are Cibies cheaper? Could that be why they are there? Anybody got any for sale? Thanks.
I'm too old for this
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

any local motor factors will have them or be able to get them brian,
i think i replaced one of mine with either a ring or hella one, they are std optic's but cant for the life of me remember the size but 5 1/4" rings a bell??
they are only held on by a couple of spring clips on the sides of the unit so can be easily removed, but a private motor factors should be able to tell you and get htem, mine was £16 but was some years ago now!!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

brian, scratch the price was £25, and is a 5 3/4" unit,
cibie code number 082371 H4 bulb
unit code is Cibie H130
for the spot light high beam H1 bulb you'll need cibie 082369

mike p asked about converting from Lh to Rh for quads a while back on this thread,
http://www.bx16valve.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 2a232938c6

and optic details are on here
http://www.motoscope.co.uk/lighting.htm

bit pricey mind so a bit of searching and i'd almost bet ebay would come up trumps!!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
BrianK
Tick Over

Morettes

Post by BrianK »

Thanks Timmo. I've looked at the hot links you provided, and have just been to look at the fitting situation, and guess what, the two outers are showing signs of rust as well! Before I go back to the retailers, can I get my facts straight. The way mine work is: with the switch on dipped beam the two outers work. With the switch on full beam, they stay on and the inners light up as well. So I was under the impression that none of the four are 'double filaments'. That's the point of quads. Also, the glass patterns on the outers are different from the inners. How do I get this across to the trade, who think they are all standard patterns - or am I just talking to the help on the phone each time.
I'm too old for this
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

yeah, basically the outer unit with the H4 bulb in works the same as the Old headlamp did, on full beam the inner spot lamp comes on too, giving additional lighting, the H4 is the dual fillament bulb, that lamp unit also has the side light in it, (although i was tempted to put one in the other unit to make them glow when side lights are on!)
if you tell them that you have quad lights which have the H4 and H1 bulb fitment you should be okay!! the optics are Common on Many of the quad set ups, am pretty sure the 205's use the same (hence why they look so odd with them!!) and scooby's also pop up when you search for them by number, also think that the older 3 and 5 series beemers used a similar size too!
if youve got an auto electricians place by you like the Lucus shops Used to be then they are always a good bet!! generally have good staff too!

hope that helps matey
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
BrianK
Tick Over

Morettes

Post by BrianK »

Hey, I've just seen all 4 optics on Ebay for £37. Somebody is going to say: "They're a Rumanian copy of a Chinese copy" Well, the alternative is Morettes themselves (now back in business) who charge £250. Ebay here I come.
I'm too old for this
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Brian,

What are the contact details for Morette, I'd be interested to know what a new set of quads would be :?:

Thanks,

Mike P
Founder member of the Phase 1 Appreciation Society!
- - - - -
'88 'F' White Bx16v - 62k miles & as seen on TV
BrianK
Tick Over

Morettes

Post by BrianK »

The people I spoke to are agents for Morette. They are called Rapid Ford and they're in Dunstable. Their number is 01582 696111.
I'm too old for this