failed MOT!

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Adrian E

failed MOT!

Post by Adrian E »

Hi all

The valver has, for the 1st time since we bought it, failed its MOT on a heavily corroded front brake pipe. Bit of a surprise as it's stored in a bone dry (heated) garage and only did 1200 miles since the last MOT! It got pressed into service last winter when my parents A4 was playing up, so probably salt corrosion has done its work.

Unfortunately they're on back order from France, so the car is now off the road until they turn up as the garage removed the old pipe before the new one turned up :roll:

On the plus side, it's taxed so once this gets sorted the car will actually get some use IF it ever stops raining long enough :shock:

It'll be getting an oil and filter change as well - think it's about 2000 miles since the top end was replaced 2 years ago!!

Adrian
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

That's a bit of bad luck for your Dad :shock:

At least the pipe is still available.

Mike P
Founder member of the Phase 1 Appreciation Society!
- - - - -
'88 'F' White Bx16v - 62k miles & as seen on TV
bxmark
3000 rpm

Post by bxmark »

I'll take it of your hands with no Mot Adrian :wink:

Mark
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Don't mess about with original pipes, get a roll of kunifer and some stainless unions. Jobbed for life!
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

Thats a bummer, but often parts do wear outquicker when not used!

I'm with kitch though, could be months waitibg wheb yourlocalplace could make them there and then!
Could always do the above and get the original sent anyways incase you want it all on original parts, but drive and enjoy in the mean time!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Can you use kunifer and S/S unions, would you galvanic corrosion with the dissimilar metals in contract with each other :?:

If you don't, I'll have to start making my own pipes up.

Mike P
Founder member of the Phase 1 Appreciation Society!
- - - - -
'88 'F' White Bx16v - 62k miles & as seen on TV
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

update on this - according to citroen the part should be in next thursday, but not holding my breath!

Dad's spoken to Mani(sp?) at Bristol 2CVs who said he can make one, but needs either the car or the pipe off the car, to make it as no pattern. He did suggest Plaides who must have patterns to make one from.

Guess we'll see if they turn up by Thurs and if not will investigate options.
bxmark
3000 rpm

Post by bxmark »

Can I be an option please Adrian :wink:

Mark
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

bxmark wrote:Can I be an option please Adrian :wink:

Mark
lol - nice and persistent :lol:

You may not believe this, but the BX is explicitly listed in my dad's will to be left to me :?

Then I'll have to decide whether to keep it or not, based on whether I have somewhere to garage it local to me! My S8 has to live in the garage here otherwise it's not covered for theft.....
bxmark
3000 rpm

Post by bxmark »

I think my chances of getting a decent valver now to go with the Zx are pretty low but I can still hope :cry:

Mark
phil.slater1
Tick Over

Post by phil.slater1 »

Hi Adrian E,
I am in process of scrapping a J Reg 16V. I am stripping it completely.

I can easily take the pipe off for you.

I live on IOW but leave regularly.

Which side do you want? I have just removed the front struts.

Last removal is the ABS ECU and front subframe.

Regards PhilS
PS
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Cheers for the offer Phil - if the garage fails to receive the new one by Thursday I'll drop you a line :D

Adrian
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

Have the tool and brass unions for kunifer so you could just measure the length and I'll make a length- that won't corrode!

Ollie
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Cheers folks

The pipes (apparently both are needed) arrived from Citroen today, unfortunately they're the wrong ones :? on talking to the dealer it appears the correct parts for 16V are no longer available.

Cutting a long story short, Mani at Bristol 2CVs will be making pipes up, as he has the correct 4.5mm(IIRC) pipe in stock.

MOT expires next Thursday, so hopefully will be sorted by then, although it's not left the garage where it was MOT'd yet....
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Well the pipes got made up and were fitted on Monday, went down for MOT re-test on Tuesday and now has a healthy new certificate :D Also renewed the classic insurance (1250 miles since last time) and it's had the K&N element cleaned and re-oiled.

My dad's barely driven it since the end of last summer and said it's absolutely flying when you give it a bootful :lol: I've not really got to drive it since the top end rebuild, but from the brief drive I did have last summer it's certainly quick enough for its age to scare the crap out of me, and my daily driver has 360BHP!!

Still need to get some paintwork sorted, but it's looking pretty good anyway for now given the low usage. When it does get done it'll probably be a proper glass out job. Could do with a decent alarm fitting still, but fingers crossed the scrotes that used to steal these are now too old and sensible to waste their time :shock:

Going down in a few weeks, so hoping while the grandparents get a chance to play with their grandson I can go for a little play too :wink: