Sell it? You must be kidding!

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Simran
4000 rpm

Sell it? You must be kidding!

Post by Simran »

Hello people

Ive been putting my engine back to standard over the last week and finally completed it on Sunday. She started first time using old plugs, leads, cap, coil and rotor from when it used to be standard. I put 6 months tax on her straight away and went for a blast.... all i can say is, its good to be back :-D

There is still the high idle speed problem i used to have before which i just cant figure out, the abs light is now on and the abs doesnt work, i still have the non-starting problem its always had which i am now putting down to a dodgy immobiliser which i am going to remove, but these are all small jobs which i am actually looking forward to tackling, i almost forgot just how simple and easy to work on the BX is. I even drove her to work on Monday and i couldnt stop looking at it in the car park, and neither could everyone else who walked past it :P

One thing i have noticed with the abs not working, is how grabby the xantia brakes set up is. Its too easy to lock the wheels, even in the dry and with the good tyres i have on. I would go as far as saying dont bother with this conversion if anyone has considered it. Its actually quite hard to modulate braking power. After driving a volvo 360 around for a year, with its heavy iron block hanging right in front of the front wheels, the light bx with no dive and minimal weight transfer is taking alot more thought to slow down without skidding :lol:
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

It's that first time drive in a while feeling that I remember that I crave the for, and thus not wanting to get rid of mine! That and the fact I love the that car!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Simran
4000 rpm

Post by Simran »

The engine still feels fresh like its from a much more modern car, thats what got me the most. Stepping into it after driving other cars for considerable amounts of time, i do now notice how creaky the interior plastics are, how much movement the is in the big strut top rubbers and how awkward the stereo placement is, its sooooo far away!

Power steering is also a novelty, my last two cars havent had it and its taking a while getting used to no feel, ive forgotten how to drive my own car! :lol:
bxmark
3000 rpm

Post by bxmark »

A very wise decision to keep her Simran

Mark
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

You know you made the right decision and all the "faults" you list above are why I like these cars sooo much :D

If I ever get mine out of the garage this year, Leicester will have 2 driving around on it's roads 8)

Mike P
Founder member of the Phase 1 Appreciation Society!
- - - - -
'88 'F' White Bx16v - 62k miles & as seen on TV