The last BX 16V in Iceland

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Joi
Tick Over

The last BX 16V in Iceland

Post by Joi »

Hi hi guys.
My name is Joi and I'm from Reykjavík, Iceland. Last march I bought the last BX 16 Valves in Iceland. It's a 1988 ph1 (marked 16 Soupapes) and has now been driven 230.000 km. I'm the 5th or 6th owner. It came with a repair history and notes dating all the way back to 1998. It also came with the original ph1 gray alloys with winter tires and also a round of the black ph2 with summer tires.

Mostly everything works smoothly except the ABS light is always on, so the ABS isn't working. The foglights don't work either, I wonder if I can just change the bulps or if I should get new ones? The car is now on some skinny 175 tires but I really want to get the 195 ones. Which brand do you reccommend?

I recently moved to Oslo, Norway, and really enjoyed the 2000km drive from Denmark to Norway. But as a result there are no working BX16v's left in Iceland.

I love love love to drive this baby! And I'm very happy to find a forum of such BX enthusiast like you guys. I always wanted a Peugeot 205 GTi but I can't believe I never heard of this sweetheart. It roars of raw energy and is a pure pleasure to drive.

Here below is a picture from when we went to the beach this summer 8)

Vroom vroom!
Joi

Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

Nice phase 1 fella, great to see them pop up where you'd least expect to!
Keep us updated with the latest wiH the car!
Do you know how many were registered in Iceland??
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
bxmark
3000 rpm

Post by bxmark »

Good choice , there a better car than the 205 Gti :twisted

Mark
Joi
Tick Over

Post by Joi »

Thanks guys!

I was told they were only two, this white one and then a black one that has beeen scrapped. But on my way to the ferry last month I met a guy in the Icelandic countryside who said he had the same one in the color "Wine Red". I wouldn't call the red 16v a "Wine Red" so I'm not sure. I'll check the Icelandic Car Registry to verify how many they were.

A funny thing happened to me the other day when I took mine to the Citroen dealer in Iceland. The repair guy was actually the previous owner of the black one (he had been waiting anxiously for me to come to the appointment all that week... very excited to get his hands on a 16v again). I guess that only happens in small countries like Iceland :)

I'll keep you posted!

Jói
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Hi and welcome to the forum,

As I also own a white Phase 1, I am obligated to say: nice car :D

Do cars in Iceland rust :?:

Mike P
Founder member of the Phase 1 Appreciation Society!
- - - - -
'88 'F' White Bx16v - 62k miles & as seen on TV
Joi
Tick Over

Post by Joi »

Yes, old cars in the capital, Reykjavík, tend to rust because of the strong sea salt which someone told me is closely related to the gulf stream.

But Akureyri, the second biggest city in Iceland, which is up in the north is actually a Citroen heaven, I think there are 300% more old Citroens there still living than in Reykjavík. I think that might have something to do with the fact that the level of sea salt there is alot less.

My BX is starting to rust on a couple of spots, mainly on the driver and passenger doors. I have the color code and everything, just need to raise some money so I can afford a little rust removal and paintjob. Also the sunroof is leaking a couple of drops due to some rust. But it doesn't frustrate me much.. I like a little splash in the face, early on rainy mornings! :P

Jói
surjit25
4000 rpm

Post by surjit25 »

Nice, I have the same version and colour but without the sunroof.
Joi
Tick Over

Post by Joi »

Hey fellow BXers. Im having a small problem. The battery light came on a month ago and the battery drained in 3 days. Got a jump start but after I got home it died again. Found out that the earth lead was ruined so I got a new one. But I didnt have a charger and my drained battery got ruined in the cold after a week. Got a new battery today and the car started fine. Drove around but the battery light is still on. Could this be the alternator? I bought a charger so I can charge the battery through the cigarette lighter at night in the garage. Both belts seem to be ok, though the one by the battery makes a little hickupy noise, not so smooth. Im an amateur in this so any tips would be greatly appreciated...
surjit25
4000 rpm

Post by surjit25 »

Change the alternator.
Joi
Tick Over

Post by Joi »

Ok, cheers mate. I have ordered a repair at the nearest garage. I hope they have the right one in stock...

Joi
surjit25
4000 rpm

Post by surjit25 »

Its the same on most models. 1.6, 1.9 just change the pulley, even from Xantia ZX can be used....
Joi
Tick Over

Post by Joi »

Is it easy to get a new pulley somewhere? And easy to install? Not sure I'm skilled enough, even taking out the battery was tough for me. I did a test yesterday, keeping the motor running with the headlights on and then pressed the accelerator, but the headlights don't dim like they should according to some alternator test I read about, so maybe it's the belt or pulley. But like I said, I'm not an expert... =)
surjit25
4000 rpm

Post by surjit25 »

Use back the old pulley if they are the same make, there are 2 main makes, Mitsubishi and Valeo..