The return of Bertie

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
djoptix
4000 rpm

Re: The return of Bertie

Post by djoptix »

Gary, I heard a rumour that you've swapped Bertie's original sunroof roof for a non-sunroof roof (if that makes any sense whatsoever).

I'd like to do this on mine, because I'm hatching a dastardly plan to keep in in roadgoing series production for hillclimbs, rather than having to be in mod prod.

Can you elaborate a bit on how you did it? So far my plan is -

* Take off tailgate and remove screen on donor car. What do I need to do with the welds? Is it possible to peel/unpick, or should I be drilling spot welds... or just cut it off and resign myself to having to make a very good job of joining it to the receiving car?
* Remove headlining in donor car
* Heat up undersides of trim strips down each side with hot air gun on roof inside. Or blowlamp? Allegedly the side strips are glued on and so is the roof, down the sides?
* Remove roof panel from receiving car using same methods as above
* Reassembly is the reverse of removal - any advice about where to weld and/or what glue you used much appreciated.

Sorry to hijack Bertie's thread - more than happy to start a new thread for this if you like.
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
"Man who run in front of car get tyred; man who run behind car get exhausted..."
Gary C
4000 rpm

Post by Gary C »

Pretty much as you say above. Roof trim pieces are glued on and have locating lugs IIRC. We just prised the edges up and cut mastic stuff and lugs with a hacksaw blade. Internally we don't have trim so everything was already out. Welds were drilled, a few went right through but no harm done - I think we managed to get by with 2 drill bits. If you have a very good small chisel you can drill undersize and then cut remainder with chisel. Nowadays a Dremel tool or similar would do the trick. The smaller the hole the easier it it is to weld back together. Probably easiest to strip front to back as the rear of the roof tucks under by the tailgate hinges. There are a few small pieces of metal that can go in the bin if the trim does not need to go back in. The roof trim pieces were cleaned up and then stuck back on with silicon sealant.
Gary C
4000 rpm

Post by Gary C »

Quick update on Bertie. Work has been getting in the way of playing with cars so it is a slow process getting him thoroughly sorted before he gets back on track later this year. Not helping that the VTS is needing so much time. Again this should be out later in the year.
Gary C
4000 rpm

Post by Gary C »

Bertie has been entered for saloon races at Lydden in 3 weeks time. Also entry placed for Brands Hatch end of July. Just want to get out and have a play. Hope to have Xsara out end of season even if just for testing.
Toddman
Administrator

Post by Toddman »

Gary C wrote:Bertie has been entered for saloon races at Lydden in 3 weeks time. Also entry placed for Brands Hatch end of July. Just want to get out and have a play. Hope to have Xsara out end of season even if just for testing.
This is great news Gary when possible I will be twisting arms to get to see you again :D
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Gary C
4000 rpm

Post by Gary C »

Entry accepted for Lydden. Licence has arrived. Just need to give Bertie the once or twice over and put some fuel in. And change the brake pads. And polish out some dents. And paint the bumper. And find a n/s indicator. And service the fire ex. And refit the bonnet clips. And sort out the trailer.
Gary C
4000 rpm

Post by Gary C »

Got that lot done.

Qualified 19th of 19 and finished 12th and 13th which equates to 2 x 1st in class.
Gary C
4000 rpm

Post by Gary C »

Despite our late start in the Motorsport News championship we are 20th overall. Next up is Brands, then Brands, then Brands and finally Brands. The 2nd of the Lydden rounds has been dropped hence the run of Brands events, the change in the MN calendar means Mallory Park and Donington Park outings are no longer viable due to the revised dates.
Toddman
Administrator

Post by Toddman »

Sounds like a good start Gary, is Bertoe happy at Brands?
Gary C
4000 rpm

Post by Gary C »

He's not too bad at Brands apart from Graham Hill Bend, it just unsettles the car and it won't turn in very well. We will have a modified arb set up at the rear next time out which may help.
Toddman
Administrator

Post by Toddman »

Gary C wrote:He's not too bad at Brands apart from Graham Hill Bend, it just unsettles the car and it won't turn in very well. We will have a modified arb set up at the rear next time out which may help.
Sounds good, I hope to have the new mainsite up soon and if you are up fo rit we can post the race reports again :D
Gary C
4000 rpm

Post by Gary C »

We have an entry for Brands. Made a bit of an alteration to suspension. Altered ride height. New rubber. only 2 weeks to go.
Gary C
4000 rpm

Post by Gary C »

Despite Bertie throwing his toys out of the pram by way of wiring fault, temp sensor fault and a sticking caliper he carried on his winning way in the first race at Brands Hatch but for race two he definitely did not like braking with the caliper causing the car to snap right if foot pressure applied too hard. It meant a lot of lifting off the power early and almost coasting into the bends. Still he stayed on the black stuff to finish 2nd.
Toddman
Administrator

Post by Toddman »

Shame about the technical difficulties Gary but great news all the same :D

Good look for your next outing!
Gary C
4000 rpm

Post by Gary C »

Back out yesterday for another couple of races. 3rd and 2nd in class keeps us leading the class but by less than 20 points now.