She finally caved

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Kitch
5000 rpm

She finally caved

Post by Kitch »

Sad day :( The 16v expired in a big puddle of oil tonight.

It had been leading to it for a while. Cracked windscreen, constantly creaking nearly seized rear arms, no PAS, a gearbox which was very hard to engage gear, loud noisy tappets, duff oil pressure gauge, major on and off LHM leaks, cracked exhaust, untraceable knocking from O/S front wheel area, bald tyre, a burning smell everytime you ragged it and fumes enough to give you a headache on every drive. It had kept going including a trip to Hull and back in one day at not completely legal speeds, the trip to Huntingdon for the national rally and the trip yesterday to Stratford for the CCC midlands event. It seemed wrong yesterday, very wrong. It was really a question of when rather than if.

The V5 came through for the ZX this morning so I could tax it and get it into service. The BX only had to make it until this day, and on this day it gave in. Took it to girlfriends nan's house who agreed to store it while I had some more space to work on the grey 16v I have and it dumped its gearbox oil right outside her house as soon as I arrived. Won't go into gear now either. Whether the box coming off problem has returned to haunt me remains to be seen, could be a duff gearbox itself.

As many of you will remember her:

RIP

The life support has officially been turned off, just like a human :(

BUT.....unlike a human, we can turn it back on again! It may be a while until it happens, but you can be sure of one thing.....

IT WILL RETURN :twisted:
csg100
3000 rpm

Post by csg100 »

:(

But at least she'll return, better than ever hopefully!
Carl
---------------
1990 Citroen BX 16v
1982 Rover 3500SE
1988 Volvo 360 GLT (for sale)
www.carlgibbs.com/gallery
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

if its only gear box oil then it could well be mounting bolt loosening again matey! my 309 sheared one off allowing the box to move and spit its contents out the shaft seal!
hoping its an easy fix matey!
at least you'll be a master mechanic by the time you have sorted it and the grey one!!!:D
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Unlucky Richard :!:

Though I'm sure with all you've been through with that car it will be back with us again in the not too distant future :?:

Remember that it's a TV celebrity and entitled to throw a lost in showbiz tantrum :lol:

Mike P.
Founder member of the Phase 1 Appreciation Society!
- - - - -
'88 'F' White Bx16v - 62k miles & as seen on TV
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Theres no question over its future. Its safe, but it will probably be having some time out. I'm saving for a house with the g/f right now and to be honest I may not be able to get anything sorted until thats all done in a year or so's time. But I'll do whatever it takes to hang onto the car until then. Once I get my own garage, it'll be sitting pretty in there for a bit :lol:

You're probably right Tim about the bolt etc, but its done it so many times there must be another fault. I thought it was me, but I've threadlocked the bolts, done them all up equally to the correct torque, then a wee bit more, set everything as it should be etc. God knows, maybe its my driving. It does have a harsh time, but then thats what the engine is made for.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

kitch,it could be the box matey! my 309 had the 1.6 box on it when it sheared the bolts! couldnt do anything to keep them on!! changed the box and had no more issues! driving style was no different either!
hang in there mate it will sort it self out in time!!!!
saving for a house is no easy feat now chap!! i got in before the market went mad!! i dont envy you i have to say!!!!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Toddman
Administrator

BX

Post by Toddman »

Sorry to hear it is giving oyu grief again mate but good to hear that you are at ease wit the car and putting it safe for a while untik you are ready to bring it back out.

Good luck

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

It looks like its probably going to be barn stored for at least 6months now. Should be safe under roof and cover.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

nice one matey! at least you know it will be safe and dry!
time to make the list of 'jobs to do' lol! i had one at home and one at the car as otherwise i would simply go over and sit in it loL and nothing i wanted to do would get done hahahah!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!