Pimpin' valve caps

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
djoptix
4000 rpm

Pimpin' valve caps

Post by djoptix »

I just bought some valve caps off the 'bay with Citroen logos on. Trouble is, one of the previous ones (which came from the pound shop) is stuck on and when I try and free it with a socket, the whole valve spins round! Any tips? Bracing it with a Mole wrench didn't work...
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
"Man who run in front of car get tyred; man who run behind car get exhausted..."
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

thats the trouble with cheap alloy valve caps! they have a habbit of sticking ont he threads!!! you can use a set of maul wrenches on them but advisable to get a bit of cloth around the grips and not to do them too tight!
Cant beat a nice set of black plastic caps! :D :D :oops: :roll: :wink:
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
csg100
3000 rpm

Post by csg100 »

You could always take the car round your local tyre company and get them to put a new valve in. Go to a friendly place and they'll do it for nowt!
Carl
---------------
1990 Citroen BX 16v
1982 Rover 3500SE
1988 Volvo 360 GLT (for sale)
www.carlgibbs.com/gallery
djoptix
4000 rpm

Post by djoptix »

Good point CSG :) Though this means I shouldn't have got rid of the alloys I just sold! Aargh! Oh well...

I bought some of the same valve caps for my girlfriend and one of hers is stuck on as well :? This has done nothing for my mechanically-minded-man image, I can tell you...
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
"Man who run in front of car get tyred; man who run behind car get exhausted..."
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hi,

Well i'd get a junior hacksaw blade and saw the cap longitudinally, taking care when you get down to the 'crest' of the valve thread.

When using cheap ally caps they have a tendancy to oxidise in position, so allways apply grease to the valve before fitting.

Cheers
djoptix
4000 rpm

Post by djoptix »

Yeah, good idea too. Might saw it part way to create a fault line and then crush it in a Mole wrench, and see if it "peels" off.
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Might saw it part way to create a fault line and then crush it in a Mole wrench, and see if it "peels" off.
Yup :)
Tim2cv
3000 rpm

Post by Tim2cv »

paint the black ones if you want something different. I have done it in the past. they only end up covered in crap and brake dust quickly anyway.
TIM
2CV6 1986
AKS 400 Super ;o) 1300cc!
Ami 8 1971
Xantia Exclusive credit crunch 2.0
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

two pairs of plier in opposite directions should stop the spinning
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)