Ive had it for two weeks and.......

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Anonymous

Ive had it for two weeks and.......

Post by Anonymous »

Im loving it :D

Just thought id put a little post up to let you all know how im getting on with by ebay purchase (phase 1 16v £250)

The car is great!!! (bet it will go wrong now!)

After giving it a service and changing the ign amp, coil/leads, putting cone filter on and polishing in throttle its going really well.

I now love the drive to work and can't get enough of Mister TDI rubbing his eyes as a 16 year old (what he thinks) shed leaves him standing :D

I just love the sleeper appeal, ive always tried to have it, had a charrade gtti (1.0 twin cam turbo) zx Volvane and 205 gti but the phase 1 takes the lead.

I dont know if its because im a marketer, but I just hate being told what car I should have and that a car stands for social class!

I dont want a Focus 1.6 glx with cup holders and a shiney tail pipe which makes it a "sports"

I want a car that is different great value and most important fun to drive!

What other car comes close for £250?

Right essay over just wanted to let you know how im getting on.

Last thing whats the orange light that keeps coming on? looks like a car skiding?

Might explain why my bx gets in a bit of a state when im hard on the brakes?

Cheers

Adie
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toddman
Administrator

BX

Post by Toddman »

Glad you are enjoying the valver they are rather special 8)
Funnily enough my bro had a 1L charade turbo the carbed model and a 1.9 Volly he never had a 205 but I did :D

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Has he any idea how rare the the charade cabo is?

If im right that was called a spider and they are so so so rare.

Sold mine a couple of years ago but got a shock when when it was on the front cover of performance retro cars! I thought it was heading to the scrap yard! the only thing that did'nt rust was the tyres! :D

Luke what did you think about your 205? im finding that everyone on here hates them (because they wip our engines i know) but they are awesome cars

Cheers

Adie
csg100
3000 rpm

Post by csg100 »

I love 205s. But ssssshhhh, keep it quiet ;)
Carl
---------------
1990 Citroen BX 16v
1982 Rover 3500SE
1988 Volvo 360 GLT (for sale)
www.carlgibbs.com/gallery
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

the 205 gti in std trim is a fantastic car no doubts! but for me the 309 gti wins hands down! i think its better handling! much more capable car and more predictable with the handling on the edge! bro had both and i had a 309 gti and drove both quite a lot! but 309 for me!

the light that pops up is the abs light! prolly a senser on the way out! (orange light with skid marks in it!!!) simple to replace! and possible to repair!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
csg100
3000 rpm

Post by csg100 »

Never had a GTi - although I almost had one before I found my cheap 16v. I road rallied a 205 XS and 205 Dturbo for a couple of seasons though which were excellent - especially the Dturbo, loved that car. It was the 3 door special edition with the GTi bodykit - most people were very surprised to find out it was oil powered after following me on events! Also had a 309 SRi when I was much younger, which was also a great car. I want to own a Goodwood at some point, or possibly a normal GTi in Miami Blue.

Although I'm still very happy with the 16v at the moment, which is the first car I've been content with for quite a while!
Carl
---------------
1990 Citroen BX 16v
1982 Rover 3500SE
Toddman
Administrator

Post by Toddman »

I traded in my P1 valver against a 1.9 205 GTi back when you could still get a good one quite easily it was just over 10 years ago and only had 40k on it.
Lovely car but definitely lacked the punch of th evalver, very hard car to drive fast IMHO hence why I also preferred the 309 mate had a GTi and another had the XS which was in fact a 1.6 injection just so muc easier on the road but on th etrack the 205 does leave the 309 in its wake.

Bro blew up the charade so bought his AX GT back which he had traded in the 3 cylinger charade GTi was the one to have a real quick car.

Now the 1.9 Volcane that is a real nice motor,gearing was superb and if oyu mastered the tight turn n not much could keep up with you in the twisties although I did have a tuned 2.2 5 pot coupe at that time so the straights were fun but the bends a bit of a battke :twisted:

Cheers
Luke
csg100
3000 rpm

Re: 205

Post by csg100 »

Yeah the 309 XSi was the 3 door version of my SRi.
http://www.carlgibbs.com/gallery/v/cars ... 6.JPG.html
Great car and easy on the insurance for a young un. Shame I put it on it's roof :(

I had a 1.9 Volcane too last year - would have been a great car but mine had dodgy electrics and a knackered head gasket, so not so good. I prefer the way the BX drives though.
Carl
---------------
1990 Citroen BX 16v
1982 Rover 3500SE
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

http://public.fotki.com/Cornishbx16v/mo ... large.html
my gti was a joy! i loved it to bits!!! (there are a few other photos of it on the link!!) sadly it is now defunct and is scrap yard fodder! i had the back dropped a click and hte front dropped alledgedly 62mm but was more like 40!! strutbraced up too! and towbar'd! (worked as a form of rear brace!!) was incredibly stiff!! i loved it!!!always got looks for the colour!!!
its not a patch ont he bx though comfort wise! although i would love to have a thrash in an mi powered 309!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Great stuff, its funny how we all go through a similar progression with cars and have had the same in the past.

I also had an ax gt for a couple of years, awesome car but a little too much like a tin can for me.

Right as the 205 has been cleared and it seams you guys dont hate them all that much its time for me to confess as im sure it will come out sooner than later.

Ive got a 205 in my garage :D

Its my pride and joy, ive had it for 4 years now and spent 2 years retoring it.

its a 1990 that ive replayed and taken back close to original.

See the pics

as i said earlier I love sleepers.........its got an mi in it (sorry :oops: )

The 1.6 engine in it was knackered and the bx it came out of was just going to get broken, it had pannel damage and the head gasket has shot.

Im being honest this really was before I knew about the bx 16v and I liked the look of the bx so much a always said i would love one as a daily runner.

Its got the orginal 1.6 box on it and the heads been flowed with three angle valve seats.

It really does go well :D

Alot faster than the bx on take off but its rubish at high speeds and on the motorway.

Right so there it is, please dont hate me.

If anyone wants a go in it give me a shout

The two live together in harmony, i just love the mi engine!

it might make you laugh but at the mo the pugs been robbed for bits and is sitting in the garage with no afm, coil and ign amp which are being used on the bx!
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

a chap on the detailing website i use has a black 1.6 with an mi in it too! on the 1.6 wheels too!
generally i think its not so bad IF the donor car is beyond economic repair! its the ones that are nigh on mint that get broken for tyhe engine that never gets used in a conversion that starts the issues!!!!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Jezziebx16v

Post by Jezziebx16v »

Adie, Lmao you have robbed bits from a 205 to fix your Bx :lol: good man.

Jez
Past 16v's: 89 Ph1 Black, 90 Ph2 Grey, 89 Ph2 Black, 91 Ph2 Grey, 91 Ph2 Black.

Now. 94 Datsun Silvia S14 rice rocket, 85 Peugeot 505 Turbo, 77 Ford Capri.
csg100
3000 rpm

Post by csg100 »

Nice looking car!!

I'd love to have the 1.9 8v with the 1.6 'box, good combination IMHO. Of course if a 16v engine was going spare (and not attached to a decent car) then that would be even better to own something like you have there! And at least you didnt rob it from a fully functional BX!
Carl
---------------
1990 Citroen BX 16v
1982 Rover 3500SE
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

The bx really was to far gone, the guy i brought it from was plaining to use the engine in a kit car :shock:

He had gut pipes and all sorts, it had quite bad rear quarter damage and generally looked a write state, not to mension the headgasket that was so gone it wouldnt run, it just shot water straight out of the header tank :roll:

I do wish id have taken the rear bumper off it tho :D

Cheers

Adie
Toddman
Administrator

box

Post by Toddman »

1.9 8v on the 1.6 box is not good the best box for the 1.9 is the 1.9 box the mi works very well with the 1.6 box but the 1.9 8v is just to flat a power delivery to benefit from th e1.6, might be better on th erally/track but on the roaf the 1.6 box ruins the 1.9s delivery.
Different things for different people of course.

Cheers
Luke