Vital Stats? (Hi, Live from Manchester)

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Anonymous

Vital Stats? (Hi, Live from Manchester)

Post by Anonymous »

Hi there!

I'm a non Citroen owning enthusiast!

Got that out of the way! :lol:

I have been researching these cars as a daily, at the moment i'm still considering a 16v but living 4 miles from the city I am according to my insurers in an high risk area! :? My dad has been hassling me to geta diesel for ages so i might go that way. I have a blue oval badged RWD car with big engine waiting to be finished for fun and a small mid engined jap car that i should sell, but a daily rocket would be nice too.

So I'm after vital stats, and to say hi, to the ones who I have not met elsewhere. :)

Whats MPG like on these?

Whats insurance group and can you get a 16v without a GTI badge/title?

And the performance of a 16v?

Difference in suspension to a diesel/normal BX? any?

How much would i need to spend for a decent one requiring no work?

Thanks in advance, look forward to meeting you all (that i have not met)
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

PS i saw a black late GTI last night in Chorlton, anyone here?
Toddman
Administrator

16v

Post by Toddman »

Hi and welcome to the forum - you will find lots of info on the mainsite
http://www.bx16valve.co.uk
as all the 16valve brochures are there for download.

Whats MPG like on these? - Varies greatly on the weight of your right foot you will see about 25mpg if you really hammer it but around 38-40mpg if you keep out of the powerband a bit.

Whats insurance group and can you get a 16v without a GTI badge/title? - GRP 16, only the very early P1 cars were badged as GTi the later ones are known as BX 16valve.

And the performance of a 16v? - Very good, 0-60 in a genuine 7.5s and tops out around 135mph in std trim.

Difference in suspension to a diesel/normal BX? any? - Very different the 16v has bigger diameter rear ARB and the suspension spheres which control spring rate and damping ar firmer and stiffer.

How much would i need to spend for a decent one requiring no work? - IMHO you are looking at £800upwards for a reasonable one if you want a very good one then £1200 upwards but these condition cars are either very hard to find or welded to their owners :D

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks I have since seen the sites stats, very impressive i must say. a lot of performance at a fair price. To be fair i need a BX for filming other cars and lugging my never ending stuff. two things my currnt daily and the MR2 are rubbish, not sure how the different suspension would affect the filming tracking.

I have just got some quotes from hastings
GTi £530-560
16v £506
19 TZD £353
:o

Thanks for your help.

I suppose i will go with what ever is nicest when i have the money.

The £200 save on insurance would come in handy TBH :?

My eyes have been opened though to these what a piece of kit 8)
Toddman
Administrator

16v

Post by Toddman »

Hope you decide to try one mate.
On the suspension front all you need to do to give a softer more "floaty" ride is to change the spheres and they are only about £45 a pair so no biggie - you can virtually make the ride as hard or soft as you desire.

Cheers
Luke
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks Toddman, I'm going to see a TZD, but if i could get a ride in a 16v it would be useful. for the money saving, I'm swaying towards a TD but we'll see, I'll report back in this space whatever i get if i get one...

:D
Toddman
Administrator

BX

Post by Toddman »

Oh no the dark side :D
If you haven't already best check out www.bxclub.co.uk

Cheers
Luke
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I did! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :lol: :lol:

Cheers.

I must admit i have been fighting off getting a Diesel, had a drive in my mates pug 306 Td a while back, it was alright, and a lot better than the petrol tat i was driving at the time but i worried about maintenance, 50mpg would help my plans and bank balance redlining! I'll see how i go with this club members car this weekend...
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Now now luke no slating our freinds at the bxclub! :D Iowuldnt use a 16v every day through choice, i like to save something to look forward too!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Wise advice! I have just reread my first post at BXclub, and i am now fully loaded with vital stats thanks all concerned. I aim to get my main project on the road next year, so i'll be able to get my kicks there... ;)
All depends what comes up.
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

If you're trying a diesel, be wary of ones advertised as 1.9 turbos - apart from a small number of home conversions the vast majority are either non-turbo 1.9s (very slow) or 1.7 TD

To confuse things some Citroen trim levels were things like 19TGD which isn't actually a turbo!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks Adrian, this ones a members and is a conversion so its cool, but i see what you mean about the TGD bit being the trim, bizzare.

Strangely i'm sure that insurance quote i did get listed a 1905cc TZD.

Thanks again. :)
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

hello reanimation!!!
before you make your desicion to buy an oil burner have a ride in a 16v! you wont be dissapointed!
the deisel is the sensible choice yes, but the fun, exciting, wolf in sheeps clothing , seat of the pants choice is by far the 16v!! You know it makes sence!!!:D
the other benefits ont he 16v are much better seats and higher spec and the latter p2's look by far the best out of all the bx's!!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hi Timmo, got here via your signature BTW.

Yep i hear what ya saying. getting a 16v would give me the push to get rid of the MR2 too.

I just need someone localish to take me for a ride!!! ;)
csg100
3000 rpm

Post by csg100 »

Hi reanimation

You wouldn't happen to have a white G reg mk1 MR2 would you? And have also been looking at beemers? :) Spotted your posted on the IMOC website (assuming that is you).

I've got a mk1 MR2 (well my girlfriend has) and a BX 16v. Very different cars, but both have their good points.

Engines behave pretty much the same - the MR2 has the TVIS which gives you a kick at 4.5krpm, the BX doesnt have such a 'violent' change into the powerband but certainly picks up well as you get past 4.5krpm.

In a straight line in the dry they're very similar. In a head to head I can just about pull away from my girlfriend (but she drives like a girl obviously ;)). Once you get to a corner the difference is much more apparent. The MR2 has much more grip, and if you're brave enough you can keep your foot in until it does break away and wind on the opposite lock to sort yourself out. The BX doesn't feel quite has stable and doesnt have as much out right grip - and of course when you run out of it you'll get understeer. Although IME lifting off will tuck you back in, or even give you a bit of a wiggle from the back end which is quite amusing.

Both good cars in their own right, and I enjoy driving both. But if you want something cheap, to cart your stuff about in at a fair speed it's gonna be hard to beat a 16v.

My only other experience of a BX was a 19DTR I used for about 6 months when I was 18. In terms of equipment it was great, but it was very slow and you cornered on the door handles. The 16v is much better in terms of handling, looks, engine and interior. My mate has a TZD which gets the nicer interior and a bit more power, but the suspension is still very wallowy. But he bought it because it was cheap to run, and it's done him proud (he's even done a few road rallies in it!).

Blimey, that was a long post. Hope it's of some use!
Carl
---------------
1990 Citroen BX 16v
1982 Rover 3500SE
1988 Volvo 360 GLT (for sale)
www.carlgibbs.com/gallery