cam timing and a random wireing issue

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
tecw1979

cam timing and a random wireing issue

Post by tecw1979 »

Ok im a bit new to playing with cams ect, and the engine im working with happens to be in my 205 now... but please dont shoot me!

im rather used to the feel of 4k on cam power with a 16v engine, however this one appears to be neerer 5k and its been suggested the timings out? can anyone tell be about the variouse pulley numbers and how they time up, or how i could adjust what i have for optimum performance?

also while i was fitting the loom today i noticed a 3 pin brown plug near the ignition amp, it has 2 greens and a brown wire, but goes knowhere on the bx... any ideas what its use is? cheers!
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

:?
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

this is info i ot fromt he old forum curtosey of luke!!

pulley No 2 - 114 degrees
Pulley no 3 - 111 degrees
pulley no 4 - 108 degrees

the best performance based set up by all acounts is no 4 on the inlet and no 2 on the exhaust,

most the p2 lumps are on no2 pulleys front and back with good results,
i have mine on 2 on the inlet and 4 on the exhaust and havent noticed any powert loss etc (feels stronger through the range than the old head did on 2 and 2! but isnt quite so quick ot the limiter but its quicker / smoother through the rest! odd!)
as for kicking in at 5k no ideas mate! is the lump std?? or is it cammed up??
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Toddman
Administrator

cam timing

Post by Toddman »

The majority of later P2s do use #2 all round but the early P2 uses #4 amd #2 hence why most people say the P1 feels quicker than th eP2

One reason the later timing was used was to give a smoother powerband and aid low/,id torque

And I would try an accurate tacho befor eholding any faith in the std clocks.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
tecw1979

Post by tecw1979 »

its standard engine, but 'was never a quick one' and compared to other 205 mi16's this one gives a smoother power delivery, whereas on my last one it was lairy at 4k.

so what differences throughout the rev range would a 2, 2 / 4, 2/ 2,4 give? top end power isnt too important considering the speed limit! but i want that lairy midrange punch back... is it simply a case of swapping cam pulleys?
Toddman
Administrator

cams

Post by Toddman »

I would assume so.
You can see from the figures Timmo lifted that the #4 pulley gives max lift earlier than #2.

Petert is a good bloke to speak to on the 205 drivers if you have any timing questions.

Cheers
Luke
tecw1979

Post by tecw1979 »

ive got 2 on the exhaust and 4 on the inlet...

it just doesnt feel right, ive got a rolling road session next week though i think... as soon as ie fixed a gearbox oil seal
djoptix
4000 rpm

Post by djoptix »

Stupid question possibly Luke, but how do you tell the difference? Is it stamped on the pulleys or similar? (I'm not with my BX this weekend, so I can't just pop out to the car and take a look) :)
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
"Man who run in front of car get tyred; man who run behind car get exhausted..."
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

djoptix wrote:Stupid question possibly Luke, but how do you tell the difference? Is it stamped on the pulleys or similar? (I'm not with my BX this weekend, so I can't just pop out to the car and take a look) :)
Its stamped on the outside of the pulleys :)
Toddman
Administrator

numbers

Post by Toddman »

Yes as above.
Most likely you have the #4 and #2 as yours is a P1

Cheers
Luke
Simran
4000 rpm

Post by Simran »

I could have sworn i saw a number 4 on one of the pulleys when i changed the belt a few days ago, gonna go out with a torch and check now :lol: