Electronic Speedo

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
dougaldog
Tick Over

Electronic Speedo

Post by dougaldog »

After meeting Luke today I popped the question as to whether it was possible to fit a generator (or other electronic device) into the speedo cable attachment on the gearbox and then drive the speedo off this, therby cutting out that wonderful slow-speed speedo needle jump that we're probably all familiar with. I don't see why it cannot be done but I am unsure whether Citroen produced an attachment for the gearbox (or Peugeot) for any oftheir vehicles. Any ideas?
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

The Xsara uses the same box, and has a non-cable drive for the speedo

Think the biggest problem for this will be designing a way to drive the speedo head itself, which is purely mechanical. I suspect this wouldn't be possible, unless an intermediate age Citroen had a mix of digital and mechanical systems that could be used
Mandic
4000 rpm

Post by Mandic »

I'll tell when I finsih mine :D

I have 6-speed box and intend to use electronic speedo as I'll need it anyway for Activa suspension.

But I think it's not that hard to swap, all You need is speedo-meter from xsara and just fit it inside. if speed spacing are not right I think it might be saved by putting resitor between the sensor or something.

Cheers

Ziga
Image Don't run your life on diesel
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

Xsara drive unit sounds like a good idea, the biggest difficulty is whether the speedo unit can be separated out from the rest of the instruments on a Xsara, if not you'd have to use the whole pack! which is easy enough to wire, the hard bit is making a Blobby xsaa set look right in a squre cut BX!
As for altering speeds, the xsara has same size wheels normally so should read correct, if not change the dial, or reprogram drive unit.... but resistors won't work! digital not analogue!

Best way would ne the Xsara dribve conneted to something like a STACK race setup and program it accordingly.

Have fun, I'll just turn up the radio so I can't hear the cable :wink:
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Just fit new cables and it cures the judder! Much cheaper too £15 for the pair I think!
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

The Mk2 Xantias have a digital speedo, with an electronic drive which deffinatley fits the BE3 box as mine came with one. As mentioned the problem would be releasing the Xantia/Xsara needle from the console and fitting it to the BX console! Also remember that where there is a digital speedo fitted, the mileometer is also digital and although this can be wound back to zero without too much effort, i don't believe there is anyway to wind them back to a specific figure!

I'm all for adding electronic things to the car (especially when it brings them in line with my dad's picasso so i can gloat that my 15 year old car can do everything his does and go up and down ;) ), however im with tim leech on the keeping it simple and original plan! The genuine Citroen cables are quite different from the originals, and so long as they are routed properly they should work fine, i have yet to see a car with them routed the correct way (not even mine as i found out after fitting the new cables!).

As an aside, if it bugs you that much, the pug 405 has a single stretch speedo cable that runs from the back of the console, straight to the engine bay, and across behind the engine to the gearbox. Not sure if the head end is the correct fitment, but they don't tend to fail the way the BX one does.
dougaldog
Tick Over

Post by dougaldog »

I quite agree with the above sentiments in that it would probably simpler to keep using the drive cables rather than changing. Having had no end of hassle getting the speedo to work reliable at slow speed (occasionally I have to do this....) I wouldn't mind experimenting. I've even had brand new cables from GSF that have had to be slightly repostioned to get the speedo running smoothly. Personally if I could fit an electronic unit I would. The Xantia option may be better as being an older car there may be more of these at the breakers than the Xsasa. I think a trip to the breakers may be in the offing..
As an extra question, does anyone know where to find the speedo drive cable gear ratios for the Xantia. The 16V box uses a different ratio to some BX boxes, I would assume the Xantia would be the same.

Cheers,

DG.