Removing fan unit F644 &^%

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
cossie
4000 rpm

Removing fan unit F644 &^%

Post by cossie »

Hi guys
I'm trying to remove my fan unit,but one of the bolts that hold it in is rusted up.I got it to turn,but that stupid nut thing on the back turns too.Any ideas how to undo it,theres not much room there.
Also had trouble removing the grill.bolts/screws there are also rusted,had to prize the grill off !!
Just give the old girl an oil change,since fixing the head gasket.It was ohhhh yukky.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

if its a single unit fan then there is just the one bolt holding it in (the top one), and these have those stupid snap off nut things on them. The plate its screwed through is a small piece of angle that is welded in with a SINGLE spot weld, makes it very very easy to snap the whole thing off so be careful with it!

Secondly, the fan is obvious a plastic affair, and if you try to drill it theres a very good chance that you'll melt the rubber and the fan shroud and it will then rattle when you put it back in! Best bet is to angle grind the head off the nut, then replace the fan! Because of the radiator its difficult to get the bugger off any other way unfortunately!

the grill is held down with two big flat headed torx screws, they only hold it down and the screws are actually there to hold the bumper on. They screw into white plastic blocks so shouldn't really rust (unless there not the original screws). Once these are out/loosened then its a case of roll the grill forward and try not to tear the rubber flaps.

As for your oil change, its probably a little late now, but ASDA are doing smart price oil for £2.85 for 5 litres, excellent oil for flushing!