Extra Power

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Anonymous

Extra Power

Post by Anonymous »

Following the purchase of my first 16v, and subsequent joining of 16v forum after much persuasion from Timmo (Cornish) here is my first post:

What is the easiest way of increasing my 160 ish BHP?

And what sort of increases could i expect?

Have some more questions to ask, but will keep them for later, so keep tuned in.

Matt
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

glad you made it over matey!
i suspect the easiest quickest methods would be a ecu chip or nos!??!
i know luke did some testing at a r/r day with a few chips to find out what worked best!
and tony m has had some good success with his nos!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hi,
At the risk of repeating whats been said before, make sure you're getting somewhere near the std. power figure before modding.
As Timmo mentioned these motors really like NOS, but if you want to go much higher than say +40 BHP, then you need to go direct port since the inlet headers run up hill.
Cheers :)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Being totally thick and non mechanically minded, whats a nos?
Mandic
4000 rpm

Post by Mandic »

Nitrous oxide system. Very popular in drag racing scene.

Ever seen fast and furious? Remember that warp effect? That's NOS :lol:

Cheers

Ziga
Image Don't run your life on diesel
Toddman
Administrator

tuning

Post by Toddman »

Hi pinfold welcome to the site :D

First off I would double check which engine oyu have as the valver has 2 power outputs the 160BHP and the 148BHP the latter being due to the cat etc.

Which engine you have greatly affects the tuning route you need to take.

Assuming you have the 160BHP and all of it is still there then TBH there is little you can do to gain decent power with bolt on mods unless you choose nos.
Because the set up on these cars is so good as std a filter,exhaust and a chip will only see you gain around 6BHP but the car will rev freely and should pull a little better.

If you want more than that then it is real engine work and if your bottom end is solid then some decent headwork will help a little along with cam or cams - catcams seem to be leading the way these days with this engine and good results are being proven with just a good head clean up and 3 angle valve seats and an inlet cam only so costs are not too steep.

At the end of the day it all depends what you want to acheive - a sub 7s 0-60 a 150mph top speed etc etc horses for courses and all that and of course how much you want to spend.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
jan
Tick Over

Post by jan »

Looks like this :
http://www.holley.com/05030-FINOS.asp

But there's also simpler systems using only one fogger ( nozzle ) and many different brands as well. But this one has its definite advantages.
BX16V '88, BXGTI '90. And '00 Xantia HDI.
Channel Hopper
Tick Over

Post by Channel Hopper »

jan wrote:Looks like this :
http://www.holley.com/05030-FINOS.asp

But there's also simpler systems using only one fogger ( nozzle ) and many different brands as well. But this one has its definite advantages.
Got one of those on a CB1100F giving a rise of 30% above the standard 110 hp at 9000 rpm, never thought of using it in a car though.

Estimated HP gain on 150ish hp at 5500 RPM ?
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

that would muchly depend on the size of the jets (i think thats what there called) you use! could be anythink from 25 - 200 extra!
8)
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Toddman
Administrator

power

Post by Toddman »

Power is all about how much fuel you can burm.
NO2 just supports combustion hence allowing more fuel to be burnt so the power you gain is proportionate to the amount of NO2 you feed in as you can feed in the extra fuel fuel as well. Hence why you get varying jet sizes often quoted as 25BHP,50BHP etc rathe rthan their actual size.

Cheers
Luke
Last edited by Toddman on Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandic
4000 rpm

Re: power

Post by Mandic »

Toddman wrote:Power is all about how much fuel you can burm.
IF You have air.

What NOS (N2O) does when it comes in the cylinders is; first being N2 cools the cylinders down and being O2 it provides that IF in the upper sentence.

So You get more oxigen, therefore You can enter more fuel to be burned and You get cooler cylinder so knock is avoided.

Cheers

Ziga
Toddman
Administrator

Re: power

Post by Toddman »

Mandic wrote:
Toddman wrote:Power is all about how much fuel you can burm.
IF You have air.

What NOS (N2O) does when it comes in the cylinders is; first being N2 cools the cylinders down and being O2 it provides that IF in the upper sentence.

So You get more oxigen, therefore You can enter more fuel to be burned and You get cooler cylinder so knock is avoided.

Cheers

Ziga
That is basically what I said :roll:
Burn by definition means that oxygen is present so you saying "IF you have air" is redundant because if there was no air it wouldn't burn.

If I had said "Power is all about how much fuel you cram into the cylinder" then you comment would be valid.

Cheers
Luke
Mandic
4000 rpm

Post by Mandic »

Sorry Luke, wasn't my intention to criticize Your comment or anything else, I just used that sentence to complete my post. I wanted to widen (add some more to) Your post by explaining how it really works and why exactly N2O.

Cheers

Ziga
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Bearing in mind though your car maybe 15 years old and have done alot of miles go steady with what you do it or it may go BANG!

To be honest my 16v is fast enough for me :D Mind you im the wrong side of 30 now and do like a midafternoon nap on a Sunday!
Toddman
Administrator

burning

Post by Toddman »

No worries Ziga I can be a bit defensive at times :D

Cheers
Luke