Front exhaust pipe, Walker or BOSAL?

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

i have a bosal downpipe on my silver ph2 and it sounds the nuts over the other one that dont have a divider.

rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
Rene
Tick Over

Post by Rene »

This is a Bosal supplier that I have used.

http://www.bodyshopwarehouse.co.uk/cate ... ck-0787-92

Dunno how his prices fare these days.

Enjoy
--
René
RichL
Tick Over

Post by RichL »

Doc, what do you mean 'fluting'?
I have a vauge memory of one of my BXs having a resonator that looked a bit like someone had been at it with a giant pair of crimpers, but the others looked pretty regular.
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

I wrote that, and if its inaccurate then I apologise, but did choose my words carefully and said the general consensus and not definatly etc. I went on my own personal experience and information I had picked up from here and the BXC where a splitter is needed and assumed the walker one has one and the bosal didnt as I had one of each etc!.

I stand by what I said regarding the fitting of the walker front pipe I bought from Mike P, my car drives and sounds loads better now than it did instead of when I had the bosal pipe (without the splitter)

Please send me any info/stories that you think will be useful as its been lacking as of late so Ive had to make do the best I can hence the hiccup!
Toddman
Administrator

pipes

Post by Toddman »

Thanks for posting up Tim.
Yes the correct splitter/divider in the downpipe is the pipe to go for and definitely gives the best driveability and low down performance.

The only mistake you made was naming which brand to use - it appears not all the Walker pipes are made with the full length spiltter/divider, some of them just have a short section welded in at the top.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

No worries Luke, my mistake, I sit corrected. :lol:
docchevron1472
4000 rpm

Post by docchevron1472 »

RichL wrote:Doc, what do you mean 'fluting'?
I have a vauge memory of one of my BXs having a resonator that looked a bit like someone had been at it with a giant pair of crimpers, but the others looked pretty regular.
Thats the fella!

The straight welded resonators have a habit of cracking leading to the possibility of the pipe hitting the road if it fails sompletly.
The fluted joints dont!
1990 BX 16v Phase 2
1989 BX TD hybrid
1971 BL 350FG Ambulance (unique)
1993 Dennis Lance 132
That's when I reach for my Revolver
RichL
Tick Over

Post by RichL »

Just to add to the confusion, I brought a front pipe off EBay new/old stock, which is marked BOSAL but is completely devoid of splitter.

But at £38 inc postage it'll get me mobile until I can source a better pipe.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

sounds like a GTi one then. There are quite a few of them hanging about that sell as '16v' ones when they are clearly not. Still its not a bad price.

From what the Doc's been telling me, BX exhaust parts are getting incredibly rare, might be time to start buying up parts where they can be found.

Tim, writing about the BX in the Citroenian is great, especially if it makes some of the old stuck in the mud CCC members realise that the traction/DS where not the last Citroens to be made. But having read the article (and not realising who had written it) there is a lot of very misleading information which the article specifically states comes from this forum. I guess i feel that if information is to be attributed to the BX16v forum and members then it should be correct.

Though i guess with the CCC membership be rather 'restricted' then it's not something that the general public ae likely to be reading.
toddao

Post by toddao »

Hello everyone,

I thought I'd resuerect this thread rather than start a new one.

I've been looking for a replacement front pipe and have encountered similar issues : which one? Bosal? Walker? Also in Germany (where I live) there is one made by the Polish firm 'Ferroz' - when I phoned up the exhaust shops none of them had a clue about what I was talking about when I asked if any of them had this split front pipe and resonator. The told me to look at the diagrams!
So I looked at the small and obscure diagrams and it seems that none of those that are available have the siamised pipe or resonator - only one made by 'Arvin Tesh' which is no longer available. As there is only one non-cat 16v registered in Germany I suppose demand is slight!

It looks as though I'm going to have to cut and weld the old one as the first section is still good, it's just the rear pipe that has gone. It could be the original item - it's stamped PSA which I've never seen on a BX exhaust before. All have normally been replaced with Bosal.
88 16v - Rising up from the rust
toddao

Post by toddao »

Well, it's all sorted now. I went down the local scrapyard, they gifted me a suitable section of pipe then I went round a mate's 'garage' and just welded it together. All that time wasted looking at different brands of front pipe depicted in tiny pictures! Saved a few €€€s though!
phil.slater1
Tick Over

Post by phil.slater1 »

Hi Vanny,

I have 3 different front downpipes.
My red car had a "Test" embossed/stamped written on the front silencer box.
My green car came with a walker fwd section, written on it.
I bought a Bosal new downpipe off ebay for 99p. I confirmed its applicability in the bosal brochure for part no. as being for BX 16V.

The nice new bosal thing is a heap of low cost pattern part rubbish; if you want performance. This is my opinion.
It has a poor curve, overbent, no split "dual downpipe section", the silencer has an input and exit pipe dia much smaller than the exhaust as a whole.
The one off the red car looks really good, it has the dual downpipe feature, nice bend, pretty much constant dia over whole length.
The one off the green car I have not removed, it has weld both sides of the downpipe indicating split gas paths in fwd end, silencer looks not to restrict flow much.
I I never thought to look at dual downpipe length so do not know. The Bosal one looked "poor", I thought of cutting the cast flange on the fwd end to make my own and chuck it. But with postage it cost me £16.
I can get the Bosal part from the one I have if you are interested to know the one I have.
PS
toddao

Post by toddao »

Ps wrote
I bought a Bosal new downpipe off ebay for 99p
can't really poke a stick at those prices though! The new listed price here is €186 for the Bozo unit but normally seeling around the €100 mark
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

Best bet really seems to be to keep the old front section and keep rewelding it to whichever box and rears you can find! The very front part never rots out!

I do the same thing with rear boxes which is how mine still has a genuine citroen chrome end on a mild steel box, has been attached to at least 4 boxes now! I find that used diesel ones work bets as they come pre impregnated in oily presevative.........