Engine going uneven during acceleration 16v from 1988

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

Kitch wrote:In situations like this it doesn't hurt to spend an afternoon going round all the multi-plug connectors under the bonnet and making sure that the metal contacts inside are nice and tight, so they grip the pin they're supposed to, and that the wire hasn't fractured at the other end where it's crimped into the metal reciever inside the plug. The age these cars are at combined with the patchy quality of the electrical system in general can play hidden havoc!

Very much What he said! :wink: Defo worth going through the engine bay cleaning up the wire connectors, earths etc and with the plugs, cable tie them back together nice and tight! For the above reasons! these cars are mostly on for 20+ years old now! French wiring isnt the best!! :wink: :wink:
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Adrian (NZ)

Post by Adrian (NZ) »

OK, so I spent another few hours on the 16V, cleaning up every connector I could find in the hope of fixing the misfire, but still no luck - it still misses badly above 2500 rpm. I opened up the air flow meter and everything looked clean inside, and the track was not worn. The one sensor I haven't looked at yet is the TDC sensor, mainly because I can't find it. I presume it's on the bell housing somewhere since it detects rotation of the flywheel, but I can't see it. Can anyone describe where it is located please?
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

The TDC sensor is pretty much underneath the HP pump bracket. Can't remember for sure if that's the case, but I know I had to remove my HP pump and bracket to change it. But I also remember the wire got chafed under the bracket. So if it's not under it, it's just in front of it!
NZ16v
3000 rpm

Post by NZ16v »

My dad found that older vauxhalls/opels/holdens had the same AFM/ecu set up back in the day.

When his started missing like a b*****d, he replaced the citroen one with a holden one from a wreck. No problems since.

Also, there are a couple of relays- the Tachometric jobbie, and the one right next to it. Check em for dry /broken joints, and resolder.
Would rather be driving ONE 16v,than fixng TWO.
Adrian (NZ)

Post by Adrian (NZ) »

I thought I'd post an update on the misfire problem of my 16V. Turns out it was the ignition module. I had tried three different aftermarket ones but they hadn't fixed the misfire. Strangely though, the misfire was different with each different module - slightly better or worse but never fixed. So I managed to get a used original Bosch module to try out and now it runs perfectly.

How can an ignition system be so sensitive to a fairly basic piece of circuitry?
Arska
Tick Over

Post by Arska »

and the funny thing is that only Bosch modules made in Germany are ok. Modules made in USA are not even the part number is the same. Or was it vice versa. I have heard that this issue concerns also other Citroen models (for example XM). Maybe it is some kind of impedance mismatch.