GTi 4x4 clutch change

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
christhelion
Tick Over

GTi 4x4 clutch change

Post by christhelion »

You guys might know something...

I've got a GTi 4x4 (bought from my mate, Simran who was always advertising it here).

The clutch has gone. I've bought a clutch for it and I'm having trouble getting garages to fit it. I'm about to tackle it in a couple of weeks in a mates garage but is there anything I should be careful with? I'm sure there must be a reason why people are refusing to do it.

I've heard the engine needs to come out but then I've also heard that IDEALLY it needs to come out. I've heard that the transfer box "falls apart" and all sorts of other stuff that sounds like bulls**t from garages that don't want the work.

Is it possible to do it in a reasonably well equipped garage with a crane for the engine?

ALSO.. while I'm here, the car seems a little stiff. This is my first BX and I'm still learning about it. can anyone think of why it could be like this? It has been sat for 3 years and I've bought hydraflush fluid, will that be enough to help cure it?
Mandic
4000 rpm

Post by Mandic »

Well yes, ideally You should take the engine out.

The thing is, that in order to take the gearbox off You need to put the TB off, and to do that You need to take whole front sub frame off, ... so it's easier to just take the sub frame off, disconnect a few pipes and take the whole engine out, besides it much easier to work on and inspect stuff if/when the engine is out.

Don't forget to change main oil seal while You are at it. And it's good to replace fly bolts too.

Cheers

Ziga
Image Don't run your life on diesel
christhelion
Tick Over

Post by christhelion »

Thanks Ziga,

I'll see how it goes. Does anyone actually know the issue with transfer box splines and how fragile they are? Is it something that I can replace relatively easily in the transfer box or is it a better idea to replace the box itself?

I've heard MI16x4 transfer boxes go in and are stronger?

Chris
Mandic
4000 rpm

Post by Mandic »

christhelion wrote:Thanks Ziga,
Does anyone actually know the issue with transfer box splines and how fragile they are?
Don't worry, they are strong enough, the reason they fail is cos the area between TB and gbox is not sealed in anyway, so water can get in and things start to rust...You know the story from here on. When You'll be putting things together add some sealant between the two and You'll be fine.

christhelion wrote: Is it something that I can replace relatively easily in the transfer box or is it a better idea to replace the box itself?
If You find the shaft to be in bad condition You can replace it w/o problem (if You have spare parts). TB internals are not rocket science at all.

However they have stopped producing those gaskets for TB covers. You will need to make them, not so difficult either.
christhelion wrote: I've heard MI16x4 transfer boxes go in and are stronger?
To be honest I have never seen normal TB in flesh, only T16 ones. What I do know is that x4 and T16 use Viscous Coupling as a center diff (and are basically more or less the same, bar sun gear and casing), where normal 4x4 have manual lock only.

I don't see any problem switching between the two. Just check the ratio of sun gear, if it is not the same You much change rear diff as well.

Cheers

Ziga
Mandic
4000 rpm

Re: GTi 4x4 clutch change

Post by Mandic »

christhelion wrote: ALSO.. while I'm here, the car seems a little stiff. This is my first BX and I'm still learning about it. can anyone think of why it could be like this? It has been sat for 3 years and I've bought hydraflush fluid, will that be enough to help cure it?
Refill the spheres, all of them, including accu one.
christhelion
Tick Over

Post by christhelion »

Thanks. I know nothing of these cars, I just bought it because it was different. Loving learning though. Although this suspension is completely new.

I wasn't expecting to get so hooked on it when I bought it. But now it's a car I'll never part with.

I just need to save up and buy a 16v as my daily driver to keep this one nice and tidy.

Are the spheres simple to fill?
Yamaha RXS100
VW Polo Coupe Boulevard 1043cc!!
Skoda Felicia 1.9D
Ford Sierra 1.8LX
Peugeot Partner 1.9D
Vauxhall Astra 1.4 Merit
1999 Ford Transit 190 LWB Hi-Cube
1986 Honda VF750F
VW Polo 1.0L
1992 Citroen BX GTi 4x4
Kawasaki ZX-9R B2 1995
Mandic
4000 rpm

Post by Mandic »

Yes, any local cit dealer/service can do it. Doesn't cost much.

Cheers

Ziga
Toddman
Administrator

4x4

Post by Toddman »

I don't know much about the clutch change but I am pretty sure I have some tech sheets on the 4x4 so will dig hem out and scan them for people to download.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Anonymous

BX 1.9GTi 4x4

Post by Anonymous »

Hi, how did your clutch change go? I replaced mine some 12 months ago, so if you need any help please reply. I took the engine out the top, a very tight fit - the radiator needs to be removed so that there's enough clearance.
Cheers, Gordon
christhelion
Tick Over

Post by christhelion »

I never did it in the end. The car is sat there with rusted through rear subframe mounts and the new clutch sat in the boot. It looks like it needs me to free up some cash to do it. I bought a sportsbike and use that every day now. I've got a few ideas for the 4x4.. and only one of them is to leave is standard.. but since it's an awkward car to have like that.. with the timebomb of a transfer box.. I'm not sure it'll end up standard I'm afraid.
Yamaha RXS100
VW Polo Coupe Boulevard 1043cc!!
Skoda Felicia 1.9D
Ford Sierra 1.8LX
Peugeot Partner 1.9D
Vauxhall Astra 1.4 Merit
1999 Ford Transit 190 LWB Hi-Cube
1986 Honda VF750F
VW Polo 1.0L
1992 Citroen BX GTi 4x4
Kawasaki ZX-9R B2 1995
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I must admit mine took a lot longer than I'd hoped. The other issue I had was the prop shaft support bearing rubber had come adrift - due to the rear suspension arms dropping completely as I had the car supported well off the ground, and the prop shaft movement being excessive. The rubber supported bearing wasn't available any more from Citroen, but fortunately I was advised a Mercedes bearing was a suitable replacement, with some additional packing pieces to get it alligned. I got the drive shaft support without bearing, Ref. 123 410 10 81 Art. no. 014 041 0045 made by Meyle, though you can buy the bearing and support.
I think there's only 2 4x4's in NZ so parts are an issue - I wish we had a few parts car here.
Cheers, Gordon
Mandic
4000 rpm

Post by Mandic »

Have recently heard that main prop shaft bearing is the same as Ford Scorpio 2.9i 4x4 one.

Cheers

Ziga
Simran
4000 rpm

Post by Simran »

Thats handy to know as idlike to keep the transmission from the 4x4 when it comes off chris' car if i can afford it when he does it, with the intention of making something special with it, kind of along the lines of what ziga is making at some point in the future when i can afford it. Its a long way away but you've got to start somewhere :lol:
Mandic
4000 rpm

Post by Mandic »

If you'll break the car and won't be needing rear sub frame, let me know.

Cheers

Ziga