AFM / AFS

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Simran
4000 rpm

Post by Simran »

I managed to run my 16v on the 8v gti ecu with wasted spark coil pack. cant say how well it worked because it ran for a minute then died because it wasnt all wired in properly. Wiring in stand alone management isnt all that difficult, you kep all your standard sensors and the only new one you will need is a seperate air temp sensor which i managed to nick out of something boring in a scrappy, think it was out of some vauxhall, to keep the same plug connecter style as the rest of the sensors. My ecu has a built in air pressure sensor so thats one less thing to have to think about mounting, bit of vacuum hose ran from the manifold back to the ecu does the job and the only other thing i can think of is a proper throttle pot to replace the on - off jobbie that is standard on our cars.
Toddman
Administrator

ecu

Post by Toddman »

Timmo wrote:thats the one luke, i know he was running 8v coil packs on it with the tb's and all the other gubbins it had!
Yeah I am pretty sure he was running a stand alone system like an M3D.

I know the 3.1 system from the 8v will run a 16v but I have never found anyone who has actually used it whole heartedly and had one remapped to suit, there are quite a few on 8v 205s but myself and some other sthink it would work well on a valver.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

yeah sorry luke, he defo had a stand alone ecu, as twas that thet his mate b#ggered up the mapping on killing the nengine! but he did use 8v coil packs on the lump for the speedo reading?? or somehting like that??
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Toddman
Administrator

ecu

Post by Toddman »

Yes mate that is right the M3D and other systems will control a coilpack like the 8v unit, so you can bin the cap and arm.

Cheers
Luke
Last edited by Toddman on Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
kriskarrera
Tick Over

Post by kriskarrera »

It's odd that PSA decided to bin the AFM and cap+arm for the later 1.9 8 valve engine yet didn't do the same for the XU9J4 engine.
XU9J4 4ever
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

individual pencil coil packs aint all theyre cracked up to be - theyre generallly small and get very hot sat on top of the engine so don't allways last that well,

What I think youre after is a modern hot wire airflow meter which you can use to replace the flap with? easy way to try this is to get off something like a 2 liter mondeo zetec which should be ok and then set it up with both of them plumbed in series, then you can compare output voltages like for like, then you'l be able to plot yourself a nice little graph and decide wheter to make some little circuitry to do this for you! you might be lucky and find you can do it witha nice simple variable resitor which you can tweek to get the correct "feel"! sounds like a saturday timewasting task to me, so I'll just look out for an alfa breaker when I run out of spares!
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hey fellas,
in the past i've replaced air flow meters on my valvers and have often found that any one particular meter will run on the car its origionally from and run well but when swapping them over on 2 of my cars they don't always run perfectly in the other car, but i have also found its quite easy to tune them via the flap spring etc. maybe when you get one from a breakers, try tuning it to your car before writing it off as faulty and getting onother? could be worth a shot.

rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)