BX V6 Update

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
mark239
Tick Over

BX V6 Update

Post by mark239 »

Well, since I started doing more miles at work as I've now moved 35 miles from Belfast I decided it was a requirement to have something a little more entertaining than the xantia TD estate as a daily driver - but still be reasonably economical.

I first of all looked on ebay for a Saab 95, then I looked to the large number of SORN'd crates in the yard, and decided I'd do something with BX 16 Valve number 4 (Of 4) - even though it has the best engine of the 4 (One is on throttle bodies, the other 2 are in various states of repair)

By chance on ebay I spotted a COMPLETE 406 3.0 24V V6 engine - with loom, ECU, manual gearbox, driveshafts, exhausts, even the front subframe - for £100 buy it now. So I couldnt resist that, and duly arranged to have it palletised and delivered home!

It's sat in the hay shed for a few weeks as I have been concentrating on the MR2 exhaust manifold - but on Friday I started into the BX.

So I got it up on to the lift, undid all the necessary pipes, cables and mounts and pulled the engine out:

On the lift

Last few of the D6C still at home

bringing the crane up to bear

Engine out and away

This is what I have to squeeze in

Today we sized the engine up in the BX bay.

Looks like it isnt going to fit:

It seems miracles do happen! It fits! Pictured on the way out again (I have to change the timing belt, service it, change the clutch and put it back in this weekend)

There is a small bit of modifying to do to the slam panel to give a bit of clearance for the timing cover on the front bank of cylinder - and it is going to be an engine out job to do ANYTHING - even change the spark plugs on the back bank of cylinders by the looks of it - but it's going to be a fun daily driver, and should do 30mpg!

I have to shorten the driveshafts slightly as well obviously. For the time being, until I get it through MOT I'm going to run the OEM ECU - but I'm going to run Emerald or DTA on it eventually in the coming months.

I also have to mount a xantia hydraulic pump somewhere, and work out where to mount the accumulator etc. Ill then have to custom make the exhaust. I'm going to go for twin exit, one pipe from each bank of cylinders for a nice sporty note :)
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

AWSOME!!!! love it, absolutely Love it!
brother on a run at a steady 70 gets 42mpg out of the 406 saloon! which is a smidge heavier than the bx!! so your thoughts on 30 would be about good! he does also however, regularly get around 18mpg when he's out on a saxo embarassing mission! - waits for them to get 3/4 the way past and then pulls up along side, smiles and nails it! Very amusing!
is a great engine and sounds lovely too!

but give it a good service when its out as its bad enough in the 406 bay to do the plugs on the back bank!

cant wait for the progress on this one!

top work fella!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

Xantia hydraulic pump? Why not just use a BX one on the gear box, is there not a place for something on the end of the rear cam? You'll have to excuse my ignorance, its been a long long time since i had a look at the V6 engine (and then it was an auto). What about the Xantia v6? where does it go on that?

As for the accumulator, stick it in the scuttle, and repipe to it there, you'll have to make some custom pipes anyway i guess, there are holes in the bulk head/fire wall/scuttle already which will take the pipes.

I will be so envious if you get it all to fit!

Surprised you didnt take the engine up from the bottom though, i always got the impression that would be the way to go with a v6 engine into a BX?
mark239
Tick Over

Post by mark239 »

If you take the subframe out to put it in from the bottom up, you have the hassle of removing all the pipes!

Im using a xantia pump - as I have a pile of them spare! And there is nowhere to drive it on the far side of the V6. Accessories all driven from crank pulley - and there could be issues with the speed of that, and I cant be bothered changing pulleys etc!

Hoping it will be quite nippy, as its almost half a ton lighter than the 406 coupe.
surjit25
4000 rpm

Post by surjit25 »

Vanny, on the older 90 deg 12V V6 the hydraulic pump was driven by the camshaft at the rear but on the 60 deg ES9 24V eng it is driven in front by the crank by a xantia type hyd pump.
these are going to be the niggling problems to be faced, luckily you don't need aircond there otherwise no way it will fit in.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

So which did the V6 Activa have in Europe? I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that it was the 24v?
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

pretty sure it did Vanny,
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Toddman
Administrator

V6

Post by Toddman »

Looking good mark that is going to be seriously quick valver with all that low down torque.

Might be worth splashing out on some iridium spark plugs to give plenty of time between service.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
surjit25
4000 rpm

Post by surjit25 »

All versions from 95 or 96 used the ES9 24V engine whether XM or Xantia.
You are real lucky to get a 24V with a manual gearbox, it is not easy
to find one.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

Surjit, all the pug 406 V6's over here were manual, both the coupe and saloon (or the majority of them were!) so not as hard to find here! However the Xantia V6's are quite a rare spot! Used to be one up the road from me but has disappeared of late!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
surjit25
4000 rpm

Post by surjit25 »

You mean Xantia V6 with a manual? I thought Xan V6 only came with autos
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

well in a sence yes a sthe Xantia and the Pug share the same engine, 90% of the pug versions were all Manuals, cant vouch for the Xant's but the majority of them were auto's from what i have heard,
i know that the french had the V6 Xantia Activa! and iirc that was a manual, there is a chap in wales (friend of a friend - citro geoff mate!!) that has converted a couple of Activa's to V6 manuals here!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Matt H
Tick Over

Post by Matt H »

Timmo wrote:there is a chap in wales (friend of a friend - citro geoff mate!!) that has converted a couple of Activa's to V6 manuals here!
Really? I want one!

That 8v turbo lump in the Activa ruins it for me...
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

from what i heard from geoff who has driven it (am pretty sure he has) Its an absolute blast!
the french had it in the line up but much like the pug 309 gti-16 they didnt think we warranted that model! (the excuse for the pug was that our roads werent good enough!!!)
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

Timmo wrote: the excuse for the pug was that our roads werent good enough!!!

Well they where probably bob on there, UK roads are pretty poor, but bar the highways i thought France was much worse?