BX 1.9GTi 4x4 Idling/Acceleration problems

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Anonymous

BX 1.9GTi 4x4 Idling/Acceleration problems

Post by Anonymous »

Hi, on starting my Gti if I give it any accelerator it conks out. I let it idle itself and very gradually get the revs up with the accelerator, and after a minute or so it seems ok, although idling above 1500rpm. I drove it for several minutes then left it idling, the engine up to fan cut in, but if I then try some accelerator it again conks out. It then won't restart. I've checked all the connectors for the Motronic MP3.1 system are in place but not sure what to do next. Anyone else had these symptons or any ideas to coreect?
Thanks for any help.
Cheers, Gordon
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

not being particularly ofay with these but is it possible a slightly iffy Distributer cap?? not quite enough spark maybe?
possibly, throttle position senser also??(back of the butterfly housing) may be that its gone and isnt leting the system know its onto idle? - check it clicks as its moved, i thin its that it should click as it returns to idle, and click as it leaves idle as such??
been a while since i've had to fiddle with mine but do remember its held on with 2 8mm bolts ont the back!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks Timmo. The MP3.1 doesn't have a distributor cap, and according to the Haynes manual uses a distributorless ignition system which supplies current directly to the spark plugs. So I don't think its the ignition system.
I took the throttle position sensor off, and it certainly doesn't click at all. For a period of time, once I've coaxed the revs up it seems to run ok, but after 5 or so minutes it seems to get back into not wanting any accelerator and when it stops I can't restart at all.
I should have mentioned, the engine diagnostic light stays on, so its warning me of some fault, but I'm trying to find all the inputs to that system.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

cool, i have no idea what all the numbered electrical systems are! i think that means you have coil packs then instead,

if the tps doesnt click at all then could be that its goosed as you should be able to hear it click to switch into idle mode, which if its not could be why it wont rev up as has too much fuel in already?? i've a spare but have no idea how long it'll take to get to NZ!!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Timmo, thanks for your reply. I think the reason my tps doesn't click is because its a potentiometer rather than a contact switch? Checking the Citroen Service site the throttle position sensor is part number 1628 L1, which indicates potentiometer ( if you've got access the webpage is http://service.citroen.com/docpr/affich ... %20141017E ) rather than a contact switch for the BX16v.
Thanks for the offer of a spare but I'll see if I can get the potentiometer part here from Citroen garage in Auckland or club members rather than deplete your spares.
Cheers, Gordon