BX16v steering box bearing

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
michael16v
Tick Over

BX16v steering box bearing

Post by michael16v »

The bearing at the LHS end of the steering box is worn out. Does anyone know if it is a replaceable item? If so has anyone found out where to get a new bearing?
It does not appear in the Citroen parts list and I have had no luck with the Pug list either.
Thanks
Michael - (Australian member)
BX16v
BX19GT
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

can you be a little bit clearer (possibly only for my benefit)?

My understanding is that there are two bearings in the steering column (steel shafts between the steering wheel and the steering pinion), then the shaft passes through the pinion (with hydraulic assistance) into the steering rack. At either end of the steering rack, the track rods and track rock ends leave the steering rack through a poly-urathene/plastic bushing.

Based on your discription i cant figure out which bearing you mean.

My experience thus far is that all Citroen bearings and bushes are stock sizes, i use a local company (Border pumps and bearings, sandy croft, north wales) who have thus far provided everything i needed off the shelf for very little money!
michael16v
Tick Over

Post by michael16v »

Vanny
The bearing I am after is the one that the rack - the part that moves left/right with "teeth" cut in it - runs through at the left hand exit to the steering box.
There is only this 1 bearing in the box - the "tube" part - the right hand end has the steering gear and input from the steering shaft.
The bearing appears to be made of either a very smooth and slippery metal :? , or maybe a hard teflon/plastic type material. The bearing appears to be pressed into a metal housing which is itself pressed into the end of steering box.
Hope this helps define what I am after.
Cheers
Michael
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hello there, by steering box do you mean the housing that the pinion valve is inside?

rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
michael16v
Tick Over

Post by michael16v »

thanuttiscotsman wrote:hello there, by steering box do you mean the housing that the pinion valve is inside?

rossco
OK, apparently my words are not a good description. So here is a picture. You can see the bearing inside the steering box/tube/outer - whatever the name :?
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

ah ha, that makes a little more sence. I assume its not in the electronic parts catalogue? Doesn't look very standard, but if its pressed in i'd be tempted to accurately measure it, then press it back out, and see if a local bearing stockist can help. To be honest i didn't know there was a bearing in there, although it makes some sence i guess.
surjit25
4000 rpm

Post by surjit25 »

Theres no bearing in there just a brass/copper bush.
Most of them would have worn out by now and giving out klnking noises.
What I get done is to send it to a machinist get him to remove
the bush and fit a teflon/nylon bush in there, very quiet after that.
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

michael16v wrote:
thanuttiscotsman wrote:hello there, by steering box do you mean the housing that the pinion valve is inside?

rossco
OK, apparently my words are not a good description. So here is a picture. You can see the bearing inside the steering box/tube/outer - whatever the name :?
lol, its just different terminology mate! im only a few hundred miles from most of these guys and sometimes i dunno what they are on about :lol:

i think surjit may very well be right here, i didnt know of a bearing in there either. and if you cant find it on a parts list then it might also suggest he's right. best thing would be to get it out and see.

rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

martyn
3000 rpm

Post by martyn »

Hi Michael, from your photo it looks like it's an Oilite Sintered Bronze Bush which are widely available in a huge range of sizes from bearing stockists.
michael16v
Tick Over

Post by michael16v »

Thanks guys.
I have to agree that this bush (bearing?) is not a replacement part from Citroen. The idea to push it out and get a replacement from a machine shop is the way to go.
Over the past few days I have managed to get a second hand box - for free :D - and the bearing in that is fine. So I will rebuild the whole thing with new and used parts and refit to the BXGT.
Then I will visit machine shops and get a new bush, fit it, rebuild the steering unit and seal the whole lot in a sealed plastic bag. It will then go into the LARGE box of "one day I will need this" parts I have for the BXs.
Thanks again for all your help and advice.
Till the next time :)
Michael
BX16v 1992
BX19GT 1986
surjit25
4000 rpm

Post by surjit25 »

Michael, hahaha good one...like that I have a warehouse full of old parts which I have to tag "One day I will have use for this"
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

michael16v wrote:"one day I will need this"
lol sounds like my garage!