BX16V on fire

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Jezziebx16v

Post by Jezziebx16v »

Mike E (uk) wrote:you probably know this, but don't get ANY of the burnt rubber or plastic on your skin!

Burnt out vehicles are dangerous due to the residue of dangerous chemicals, which can result in serious injury and amputations.

Wear good gloves and long sleeves when you remove parts.

good luck!

Mike
I think it can be a whole lot more serious than this, I read on another forum about a guy who did some work on a burnt out car and was dead within a few weeks. The chemicals enter straight through the skin into the blood stream.
Anyway thats what I heard and I'd not take any chances :?

Jez
Past 16v's: 89 Ph1 Black, 90 Ph2 Grey, 89 Ph2 Black, 91 Ph2 Grey, 91 Ph2 Black.

Now. 94 Datsun Silvia S14 rice rocket, 85 Peugeot 505 Turbo, 77 Ford Capri.
mechuccio
3000 rpm

Post by mechuccio »

Pfew, that's not a good thing to think about.
Actually I'm quite happy that we found another 16V all be it with a busted engine.

The past two days we have been working on the "new" car, building in the engine out of the burnt car.
It was quite a job but it all came together very nicely and the new car is running like a charm with the engine out of the burnt car.
She ran nice and easy after the first trial, we just needed to place some fluid gasket between the cilinderhead and the thermostate housing because she was leaking. When that was sorted out it was time for the first run.
Happily there is just one thing we need to take care of, the "coolant-level" sensor keeps telling us that we need to check the coolant level. Some times it flicks of and sometime the lights are on. Must be some crummy contact or something. We'll check that out later. First it's time to enjoy......... :D

Here are some pics and movies to give an impression of the work we did:

(all pictures clickable)

Getting the engine out of the burnt car:

Building the engine in the new car:

The "new" engine waiting in the background to be mounted

Taking out the gearbox.

Got it!

Nice and empty

The two engines together

The "new" engine being fitted with some new parts and parts of the old engine

Busted engine is being ripped :P

Alternator and some tubes and hoses fitted

Timing belt placed and covered.

Putting the car back together

Image.

And some movies:

First test run

First driving

First beating :wink:
You can't spell slaughter without laughter ->I just love my 16V<-
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

nice one guys!
great work, glad to see it back up and running all be it in another guise!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

good job matey! :D i like to see them being looked after, and especially being saved. i wish i had that much time to finnish my project off. keep up the good work 8)

rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
NZ16v
3000 rpm

Post by NZ16v »

Another 16v lives to fight another day!! woohoooo!! Great pics too :lol:
Would rather be driving ONE 16v,than fixng TWO.
mechuccio
3000 rpm

Post by mechuccio »

Thanks for the comments mates!

It was quite a shock when the old valver went down in flames but eventually we got another one back together, and that's MUCH better than getting two valvers to the scrappy.

However, the rear camshaft has got quite a tick from the fire, I guess it heated up a lot since the fire started in the area of the hydraulic pump.
It's bent alas. We took off the pully but the axel is wobbly.

Not too much to worry about though, we've got a couple of axels in spare thankfully but we'll need to replace it ASAP as both of us enjoy the high revs a lot :twisted:

New oil seals are in order at the moment so I guess somewhere next week we'll replace the axel to make this engine perfect again.
The problem with the coolant level has been solved allready, we just need to do the axel, the seals of the differential and the shifting rods and offcourse take it to germany for some real beating :lol:
jonsgot
3000 rpm

Post by jonsgot »

You don't know how painful it is to watch those video's. I left an MX5 wheel spinning at the lights earlier this week. The 626V6 is almost as fast as the 16V but it's auto and auto sucks donkey ..... One day the 16V will be back at the top of the to buy list. I'll have to buy another car to, as it can take ages to get parts when they brake, which means I need to sell my 626 3 times to have enough money.
1990 BX16V Phase 2.
I made the 1st post.
mechuccio
3000 rpm

Post by mechuccio »

I understand :)
The valvers are amongst the most fun cars I have ever driven and next to my H van the most fun cars I have ever owned.
I wouldn't want to mis it, when it's broken for a couple of days (hasn't happened for wuite some time now) I mis it like crazy!