Brakes again...sorry!!!

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Frenchracingblue
Tick Over

Post by Frenchracingblue »

Hi, interested how the brake thread is going, haven't looked for a while. I have a 16V phase two in which is to some extent being cloned to my own racer. The car is now up and running on 8 x 16 front, 7 x 16 rear Compomotive MOs with graphite grey centres and diamond cut rims, as the original. 288mm discs and matching calipers are fitted and working, nylon rear subframe mounts are in, new genuine spheres on, yet to be made adjustable, Helix six paddle clutch/uprated cover has arrived, Gripper plate LSD too, and a donor car to provide closer third, fourth and fifth gears. Over the next week or so that lot will be done along with an aluminium flywheel, full set of octopus pipes and all the other returns, due for testing on 31st, wish me luck!! 288 brakes take a huge amount of getting used to on the limit.
Cheers
Peter :D :D
NZ16v
3000 rpm

Post by NZ16v »

pics pics pics pics :D :D :D :D :D :D And how did you fit the V6 calipers-did they need a spacer? Your car sounds mint, you MUST do a thread
Would rather be driving ONE 16v,than fixng TWO.
Mandic
4000 rpm

Post by Mandic »

Beware of the ally fly, metal contracts differently as steel and bolts might get loose!

There is a company which makes very very light steel ones. I'd rather go with one of those.

Cheers

Ziga
Image Don't run your life on diesel
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

i've just had my fly wheel lightly skimmed and balanced. I can't see taking masses of weight off will give any benefit unless the whole crank/piston assembley is balanced. Surely as the flywheel mass drops issues on the crank will become more apparent?
Frenchracingblue
Tick Over

Point taken on higher risks with alloy flywheels, but no plans to fit a poor component or fit a good one badly!! there is an equation that describes the weight and inertia of a rotating mass, anyone who challenges the need to minimise rotating mass in a competition engine has no proper competition experience, and has never driven a well set up alloy flywheel equipped car. even gearchange times can be dramatically reduced, up or down. :D
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

Is there an equation describing what happens when the bottom end is out of balance?

I'm not suggesting that a lightened flywheel has no benefit (i'd be tempted to go for dual mass mind) but that if an engine hasn't been blue printed and properly balanced then there is a limit to the benefit of 'add ons'. And hence i would personally go down the blue printing and balancing route before lightening.

And i have seen the difference between a blue printed and an 'as it comes' Mi16 engine and they are miles apart.
Frenchracingblue
Tick Over

I would invite yoo to refer to my previous post!
Simran
4000 rpm

Post by Simran »

Pictures of those rims please, i want my MO's in graphite grey, im interested in seeing what they look like :P