Brakes again...sorry!!!

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Simran
4000 rpm

Post by Simran »

It seems i havent been paying enough attention to your pics, just had a quick look through my spokes and my calipers ARE different to yours and the ebay add confirms yours ARE mk2 discs and calipers. If you look at the pad, one end has a larger hole on in, that helps distinguish the caliper type. So your setup is definitely the 288mm disc type. Im jealous as they are the ones i originally wanted but they seem tobe more difficult to fit. Your idea of making up disc spacers makes more sense to me now :lol:
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

mwah ha ha ha

pretty much fluke to be honest, was reading the thread on here, then ebayed activa, and theres on breaking not too far away. And thats the first Activa breaking i've seen for quite some time!

Hopefully i'll be able to make up some spacers this saturday, i have access to a huge metal working facility and all the tools and steel i could dream of. Once i've finished the job i'm going there to do.

Does this mean i have the biggest brakes on a BX ever?
Simran
4000 rpm

Post by Simran »

Yes, you've overtaken me there on the big brakes front :cry: but i still have the best looking wheels :lol:

You will be amazed at the effectiveness of your setup, mine are fantastic as they are and yours will only be better.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

isnt far off a 10% increase in disc size! :shock: (266 - 288 something like 7%??)
going to be some serious stoppers there!!! jelous as hell lol!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

disc size is one thing, but its the size of the pads that make up most of the improvement!
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

this is very true Vanny!
i would assume rightly or wrongly that the increased pad size is along a similar percentage increase as the disc???
knowing your a bit more techy minded have you compared the sizes of pads etc??
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

i have and i havent, going by Simrans kindly posted list, it looks like the Mk1 and Mk2 activa's have the same size pads, but i dont believe that for one gosh darn second, so either i'm reading it wrong or need to check it out myself!
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

Activa Mk2 pads

Activa Mk1 pads

appologies for the last pics, takne straight from website, bit of a difference though
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

just a bit! 9mm narower but nearly 40mm longer!! quite some increase in size!!!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
NZ16v
3000 rpm

Post by NZ16v »

Hey fellas, i just scored a set off a Xantia V6-they are ENORMOUS!!! So vanny, i am equal with you for big ass brakes till that other nutter chucks 320mm brembos on his lol. Also, if you have fitted em, could you please give us any advice with fitting-am gonna use spacers etc, but if you have found the correct size etc, a PM in my direction would be awesome. Again, cannot believe how big they are!!!!
Would rather be driving ONE 16v,than fixng TWO.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

I will post here (rather than PM) because then it might be useful for someone else in the future.

As i see it the shim needs to go under the brake disc (between disc and hub) and needs to be around 1.5mm As it will go under the brake disc i am tempted to have a shim make up that is around 120mm diameter with the holes for the wheel bolts already cut in.

I think i will have it made from stainless steel. I have now found a company who will water cut the shim from sheet, and i can get the sheet very cheap (free) i just need to very carefully measure everything out, and i think the best way might be to make a CAD model.
NZ16v
3000 rpm

Post by NZ16v »

if you could send me the cad file as a dxf, i can get em cut over here,which would be choice!!Cheers
surjit25
4000 rpm

Post by surjit25 »

Why the need to have oversized brakes, I have fitted the disc and calipers from the Series 2 or S/Wagon they are great stoppers that also I have to fit 16in rims.
NZ16v
3000 rpm

Post by NZ16v »

because i want to! and the series2 xantias are just as hard to find over here as the V6, and these came up first.
surjit25
4000 rpm

Post by surjit25 »

If you want there are many here can send to you.

Even with S2 brakes I have locked the brakes with only slight pressure,
practically 'overbraking' all the time.
BTW my ABS is not working., it's just too powerful (braking that is)
With S2 disc, brake pads sourcing can be a problem but S1 pads can be used for short term as they are the same fitting but a wee bit shorter
top to bottom.