oil pressure problems

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
soupapes
4000 rpm

oil pressure problems

Post by soupapes »

Hello!

I'm facing a problem with the oil pressure in my car.

At high speeds and revs, the the oil pressure manometer moves crazy, going several times to the minimum level. Other problem that happened 2 times is that i had an oil leak trough the top of the engine, when i was driving at high speed. The oil seems to come out to the top trough the oil level.

Should it be a problem in the oil pump?
91' Citroën BX GTi 16v
surjit25
4000 rpm

Post by surjit25 »

Best to check with a oil pressure gauge, all Citroen service dealers have the meters to check, or yr meter gauge could be faulty.
NZ16v
3000 rpm

Post by NZ16v »

I agree, the oil pressure gauge was dodgy new, let alone after 18 odd years!
Get another more reliable test, and chase the leak asap. I will sort a different, more reliable oil pressure gauge for mine once its built.
Would rather be driving ONE 16v,than fixng TWO.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

Oil pressure display runs through a little circuit board on the back of the display console, these are notorious for failing (but plug and play so easily swapped). However the fault you describe sounds like the signal to the board dropping out, so i would consider checking out the wires to and from the sensor first. The pressure sensor is at the front of the block, just below the head level to the left of the starter motor, it is the big round usually plastic sensor next to the over pressure switch.