LHM return line joiners

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
tobyg
Tick Over

LHM return line joiners

Post by tobyg »

Hi guys,
The rear right sphere return line on my newly acquired BX 16v has started leaking. I found the source of the problem to be a broken rubber joiner in the return line (just above the rear beam). I replaced this joined with rubber vacuum hose and that obviously stopped the leak.
What I'd like to know is whether I can use this as a permanent fix or will whether the LHM is likely to attack the rubber hosin I used.
Any ideas?
Cheers,
Toby
1993 BX 16 Valve- Ex Bathurst Car
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

LHM is a mineral oil, so if engine oil wont rot it, LHM wont. I suspect you'll be fine.
prm
Tick Over

Post by prm »

If you can find any old car/light van front hydraulic flexible hoses, the small internal bore makes these ideal for BX pipe connections.

Most automotive engine section hoses are nitrile oil resistant construction and should be fine with LHM as Vanny mentioned.

As a guide. Neoprene material – water/screen washers etc.. Limited life when used with oils and fuel. Sections immersed in oil and fuel will expand.

Nitrile material .Suitable for petrol, oils, cooling/vac hoses. When immersed in cellulose thinners, sections will expand. Some types may have a reduced life with diesel based fuels and types of hydraulic oils.

Viton material, Suitable for all fuels, oils and most thinner based products. Generally used for static sealing applications, or slow rotating/reciprocating components.

Regards
tobyg
Tick Over

Post by tobyg »

Thanks guys! I'm not sure what type of hose it is- I might keep an eye on it and substitute it with an original one when I'm next at the wreckers!
1993 BX 16 Valve- Ex Bathurst Car
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hey man, if its just 2 pieces of pipe u need to join then a plastic push on pipe connector and cable ties would do the job. the return lines aren't high pressure. tbh what you have already done sounds just as good if not better.

rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

If you want to join LHM return lines, why not use LHM return pipe? best source is all those perished strut return pipes we all seem to do every other year!! have a bucket full of them and usually find there sone section which didn't see much flex which is perfect for repairs!!

Ollie