Can this part be repaired?

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
MoRtYMer
3000 rpm

Can this part be repaired?

Post by MoRtYMer »

Sorry I don't know the name of this part to put on the topic subject.

This part is a little wobbly, and makes noise when the HP engadges. I think Citroen no longer sells this.

Does someone know if this can be disassembled and the ballbearing (if it has one) be replaced?

NZ16v
3000 rpm

Post by NZ16v »

i think thats the hp pump belt tensioner. Likely it can be reburbished-it may just need a solid soak and clean. Otherwise its apart that will quite likely be straight swapped with a 2l xantia model-dont quote me tho. Get it off, pull it to bits, clean the hell out, replace what you can.If that dont work ,compare with Xantia one at wreckers?
Would rather be driving ONE 16v,than fixng TWO.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

I would half expect it to be a press fit bearing in the middle, though i can imagine that if you try to press it out then it will simply buckle the pulley leaving it useless.

Might be quicker to have something made from scratch, billet machined/turned pulley, big bolt, one way machining for a bearing, i suspect it would be pretty easy for the right person?
mechuccio
3000 rpm

Post by mechuccio »

Maybe you can alter it so it won't need the tensioner anymore, the MK1 I've been working on as well as my MK2 (with catless 157HP engine) hasn't got the tensioner. These strings are tensioned with a metal bar holding the pump, by pushing the pump down and locking it on that bar it's tensioned. Offcourse you'd need a smaller string.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter ->I just love my 16V<-
mechuccio
3000 rpm

Post by mechuccio »

Here you can see quite well what I mean:

Image.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

Is that not simply a diesel/normal BX setup? Personally i would rather have the system with idler pulley tensioner so if the pump locks up the belt slips rather than snaps the cam. In my mind the two pulley system have a much greater lap angle requiring much more force to overcome the belt friction and allow slip.
mechuccio
3000 rpm

Post by mechuccio »

The system as shown on my picture is the standard 16V MK1 tensioning system. (as my MK2 is fitted with somewhat of an MK1 engine it has the same) When the tension is too low on the belt it slips like hell. But actually the system with the tensioner is easier to set up than my system because you can adjust the tensioner rather than the pump itself. On the other hand, there are less parts likely to wear down or break. I wouldn't know what would happen if the pump would lock but having to really put some strength when tensioning the string I'd suspect the string would slip until it brakes.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

FYI string = belt
mechuccio
3000 rpm

Post by mechuccio »

Ah thanks :D

That's my Dunglish I guess...
Allthough a string sounds a bit more errm.... sexy?
Not in the Borat way off course...