Thats better

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
ollie
4000 rpm

Thats better

Post by ollie »

As mentioned before my 150k one drives worse than my 250K one which is anoying, more so after disturbing connectors whilst changing Clutch cable and engine mount!
Well took 2 minutes to it yesterday and cleaned the two main connector blocks, the ign block and the airflow block - as suggested here - thanks and guess what it runs smooth as a whistle, or whatever the phrase is :lol: idles smoothly, even took a few minutes to learn a new idle speed, which its never done!!
What it won't do is start by just turning the key, allways needs a little throttle, any thoughts, ( ECU coolant temp sender is recent 2 yrs) could be the idle micro switch? or incorect airflow settings?
the red shed on the other hand allways fires key only, hot or cold! so i may just knick it periferalls...
Toddman
Administrator

starting

Post by Toddman »

Good stuff Ollie - it is suprisinmg what a clean up of those connections will do for these cars.

I would think the starting issue will be down to either the TPS/butterfly position or even the idle mixture adjustment as you may well find now that everything is much happier that this will need resettimng as well.

Good progress though

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

oddly enough i did find mine a smidge less eager on starting when i had cleaned up all the switches and earths! but it does start okay no issues!
when i cleaned up the blocks behind the battery i put a thin coat of vasalene on them male ends before recconnecting and cable tieing them together!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Mie starts up no probs so im leaving it alone lol
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Ollie

Could be clogged injectors? If they're dribbling rather than spraying it might be masked at higher revs, but bad at idle

Might be worth a look see

Adrian