Warm starting problem

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
douglas851

Warm starting problem

Post by douglas851 »

My 16v starts instantly and idles fine when it cold and when it is hot (after 20 mins drive).

However, when it is warm it refuses to idle and dies on a closed throttle, but runs as it should above 2000 rpm.

If you try and start it at this point it takes several attempts, eventually starting on two but once all four join in it is fine above 2000 rpm.
All this is repeatable and predictable.

Any ideas?
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

a couple of things that spring to mind are plugs, coil, cap and arm, mine used to eat plugs like mad, but was always driven hard, changed the coil over after breaking down due to burnt out rotor arm! (along with cap and arm) and is still on the same set of plugs Years on!!
these engines do like a Good Strong spark!

when it had been driven hard home and left for a bit used to be a swine for starting! used to be very bad if i turned it off whilst running inthe carport and through tha garage to open the door!
the amount i spent on plugs prior to changing the rest would have been enough for the job lot of Original parts lol! and thats with trade discount hahahha!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Try rotating the throttle butterfly with the engine off and listen for a faint click. It might be that the TPS needs re-adjusting and the ECU simply doesn't know it needs to switch to idle mode.
The idle valve does more work when the car is cold, its part of the cold start system so it suggests that's working fine.

Only other thing I'd suggest checking out is the mixture. We got mine running fine for a Co2 pass at the MOT, but it was lumpy and unhappy until I richened the mixture slightly on the AFM.
surjit25
4000 rpm

Post by surjit25 »

Mine has the same problem, it is the idling solenoid on mine
have to switch off the a/c then slowly let it idle and then revs will
automatically rise and idle at 900 or free gear and rev it up to 6000rpm
Haven't got a replacement yet , any idea if any other car like BM or Volvo
has the same solenoid, the ones I have seen either have diff air inlet/outlet
or diff wire socket.
vortex

Post by vortex »

surjit25 wrote:Mine has the same problem, it is the idling solenoid on mine
have to switch off the a/c then slowly let it idle and then revs will
automatically rise and idle at 900 or free gear and rev it up to 6000rpm
Haven't got a replacement yet , any idea if any other car like BM or Volvo
has the same solenoid, the ones I have seen either have diff air inlet/outlet
or diff wire socket.
Volvo 850 and 480 have the same solenoids. I got a few of those cars for spare :lol:
Just look for the right Bosch number.
roderick3
Tick Over

Post by roderick3 »

Timmo wrote:a couple of things that spring to mind are plugs, coil, cap and arm, mine used to eat plugs like mad, but was always driven hard, changed the coil over after breaking down due to burnt out rotor arm! (along with cap and arm) and is still on the same set of plugs Years on!!
these engines do like a Good Strong spark!

when it had been driven hard home and left for a bit used to be a swine for starting! used to be very bad if i turned it off whilst running inthe carport and through tha garage to open the door!
the amount i spent on plugs prior to changing the rest would have been enough for the job lot of Original parts lol! and thats with trade discount hahahha!
I'd suggest (just as kitch) to check out the mixture. read the ecu as well (not all errors let the ecu light lit up). try with a different idle solenoid or could be a faulty coolant sensor as well or a distrubitor cap etc
bx 16v phase2 with original and working A/C and sunroof