Wiring Ignition Loom - General Query

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
phil.slater1
Tick Over

Wiring Ignition Loom - General Query

Post by phil.slater1 »

Hi Guys, I have bought a valver. Its in rather poor condition so with the help of Ebay I am rebuilding it.
I have a complete set of new keys and locks. Citroen Part No, 96070197.
The Workshop Parts catalogue only calls up this No. for all variants of car.

The old loom which includes the ignition key down to the centre console has two 4pin connectors - full loaded hence 8 wires, One connector is Brown, the other is White. (One has a small jumper connector out the back of the connector block.

The new loom, New key is exactly the same format as described above but one connector has only 2 wires. These are the 2 most outer ones.

I have been literally pulling my hair our trying to understand what this might do.

Both looms are by a different manufacturer so I cannot break up the key unit from the switch and rebuild a hybrid unit. Can anybody help.

I am a mechanical engineer, I do not understand wiring or wiring diagrams. I dare not just plug the new loom and key in just incase something horrible happens.

Great Web Site - Phil
PS
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

Plug the new loom in and you'll be fine.

Its a well known difference, i suspect the old loom has only red and white wire and the new loom has a multitude of colours (green yellow and orange?). They will likely both be valeo looms but i dont think the factory fit barrel actually says Valeo on it.

The only thing you will need, as yours is a valver, is the ABS power take off. There should be a small trailing lead to a probably red female spede connector on both the new and old barrel loom. This supplies the ABS directly so it is imperitive that it is fitted.

Otherwise, dont panic, the missing wires are paired later in the loom so they will be connected but in the car side loom rather than the barrel.
surjit25
4000 rpm

Post by surjit25 »

It is the new type of ignition switch with two wires less but it is paired elsewhere , no worries ,just connect it. It has been sort of re-engineered
maybe for better current conductivity of sorts.