Rotrex supercharger

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
NZ16v
3000 rpm

Post by NZ16v »

When you tire of this, I WILL BUY IT OFF YOU!

There, i have first dibs.

What a beautiful job, well done
Would rather be driving ONE 16v,than fixng TWO.
badlyworntoy
3000 rpm

Post by badlyworntoy »

Haha It will cost you £4000 just for the boat ride to NZ :lol:
NZ16v
3000 rpm

Post by NZ16v »

Nah, i got mad hookups through work for shipping, dont you worry!
Would rather be driving ONE 16v,than fixng TWO.
cammmy
Tick Over

Post by cammmy »

Timmo wrote: would be Awesome to see this in a bx, or 405!!
That's why I've been asking about it. Once the the engine in my 4bie has worn out I would love to rebuild it and add a Rotrex 8)

badlyworntoy. Are you using the stock AFM with this???
'89 BX 16v
'91 Peugeot Mi16x4 x2
'74 Triumph TC2500
cammmy
Tick Over

Post by cammmy »

NZ16v wrote:Nah, i got mad hookups through work for shipping, dont you worry!
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate! Can you help a brother out next time I need some bits from the UK?
'89 BX 16v
'91 Peugeot Mi16x4 x2
'74 Triumph TC2500
badlyworntoy
3000 rpm

Post by badlyworntoy »

Cammy
They s no definitive list of parts you need or don't need for supercharging,except obviously a supercharger. I wouldn't even think about doing it either until you have a charger of your liking in your possension as the whole dynamics of the car and engine will then revolve around the pros, cons and needs of that charger

The Rotrex chargers are in our application the best to go for as space is always a major factor aswell as the Rotrex being most freindly in terms of a "bolt on" charger as it will in (theory) require no further mods the the engine.However as always they is many a pit to fall in with these sorts off conversions,this is why it has taken me so long to get this far.

I'm not going to bang on forever on here with the technical deatail on how and why I did it as it wold take me days,However if you have any specific information you need I'm happy to help.

To answer the question about the AFM,then yes the AFM is still used in the intake of the Rotrex. The best circuit is to have the throttle positioned upsteam of the supercharger,(i.e before the intake) this then will minimise the work the supercharger has to do and therfore reduce fuel consumption under part load due to the thin air situation around the impeller at throttle angles less than 90 degress
The simpler approch and the one im going to use to get started is to keep the throttle housing on the manifold,however to do this I have fitted a re circulation valve (dump),this is so at low engine speeds the impeller in the charger at engine overun/deceleration doesn't back up air in the compressor housing and cause any racket.This in simple terms means that the dump valve will prevent surge in the discharge pipework by allowing air to recirculate back to the intake under vacuum condition :D pretty much identical to a turbo system........Hope that answers your question
1991 Citroen Bx 16v phase 2
1972 Vauxhall Viva HC 16v C20XE
1993 Nissan Pulsar GTI-R
1983 Vauxhall Chevette 2.0 Pinto
1991 Lada Riva (still having ideas)
cammmy
Tick Over

Post by cammmy »

I would also be looking for a Rotrex but would want full stand alone management with a MAP sensor (definitely want o2 and knock sensing which I don't have atm)

From the reading I have done, the centrifugal chargers can actually allow air to pass back through the impeller. So a dump valve isn't as important as with something like a roots (but it's probably still a good idea to have one :lol:)

This would be a race car so for me it would probably be dump straight to the atmoshpere for mimum fuss/maximum noise :D

I'm definitely keen to see this project finished and I'm very envious. Top notch work.

For now I will have to live with putting a roots charger on my Rover V8 motor and dumping it in my Triumph :wink:
'89 BX 16v
'91 Peugeot Mi16x4 x2
'74 Triumph TC2500
badlyworntoy
3000 rpm

Post by badlyworntoy »

A stand alone managment system is where i'll be going once i've got the engine functioning correctly on its original managment.I purposly omitted to modfiy this area for the time being in an attempt not to bog down the BX project to the point of never getting it going again.Ive learned in the past that its better to do things in stages as you also learn a lot from running a car between the stages of tune rather than going from standard to mental in one go.Ive also learned that a lot of the time most of the stuff you plan isn't necessary or needed.
I have a spare Omex 600 managment system I could use on my BX but for the time being getting it up and running on standard managment with a piggyback auxillary injector driver is the more sensible option.I actually think that when i take it to the next stage of tune i'll go to the Netherlands with DP-engineering and go for a plug and play Vems with MAP,Peiter there says that my car with such a high spec could easily achive 300 bhp but only time and money will tell :D
Have you spoken to Dave Sims? he's cyman on here.He has a Opcon supercharger kit for a Mi16, however he wants £1700 for it......nice bit of kit f you can stomach the price? :shock:
1993 Nissan Pulsar GTI-R
cammmy
Tick Over

Post by cammmy »

That makes perfect sense :lol:

I'm not looking to charge until my motor needs rebuilding. So hopefully that should be quite a while away yet...
'89 BX 16v
'91 Peugeot Mi16x4 x2
'74 Triumph TC2500
badlyworntoy
3000 rpm

Post by badlyworntoy »

getting somewhere a last :?
1993 Nissan Pulsar GTI-R
bxmark
3000 rpm

Post by bxmark »

Absolutley amazing work , always look forward to your updates , I would love to see this car someday ,

Mark
cammmy
Tick Over

Post by cammmy »

Have you done anything to the sump itself or just added an accusump?
'89 BX 16v
'91 Peugeot Mi16x4 x2
'74 Triumph TC2500
badlyworntoy
3000 rpm

Post by badlyworntoy »

Ive also added a constella sump baffle which should along with the accusump stop the awful oil surge that Mi16's suffer from :cry:
1993 Nissan Pulsar GTI-R
cammmy
Tick Over

Post by cammmy »

I'm keen for dry sump but unfortunately they cost more than a small nations GDP :roll:
'89 BX 16v
'91 Peugeot Mi16x4 x2
'74 Triumph TC2500
badlyworntoy
3000 rpm

Post by badlyworntoy »

A dry sump :shock: Total waste of money and a lot of hasstle on a road car mate. I had an Lotus Esprit turbo years ago and the amount of hasstle it caused was knowbodys business,mainly with sludge and blockages and even running out of oil for no obvious reason.
Usless your chasing Seb loeb through 40 miles of welsh forest or trying to shatter the lap record at Spa I would give one a wide birth mate,far too much coin and hasstle :wink:
1993 Nissan Pulsar GTI-R