Rotrex supercharger

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
NZ16v
3000 rpm

Post by NZ16v »

Love it. Am goin down the throttle bodies route, mainly for NA power, but i am seriously interested in the supercharger route!!! Turbocharging is just such a hassle with the manni modifications required. That dutch video needs to be done again, i cant get a feel for how fast he is goin. nice frontmount though, really need to see finished pics of yours-those nimrods are beaut.
Would rather be driving ONE 16v,than fixng TWO.
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hi ian, nice work there man i really like it. im interested alot in what you've done/are doing as im doing similair stuff to my car at the moment. can you tell me what you have done with the engine compression? have you altered it for the supercharger and if so how'd you go about it?? i have got a garrett turbo for my project but have decided not to use it as i think supercharging is much easier, i've also got a nos system to go in to mine but i still need tyo lower the compression first.

cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
badlyworntoy
3000 rpm

Post by badlyworntoy »

hi rossco
I havnt altered the comp ratio as i think its ok to run 0.7-0.8 bar on the comp ratio 10:4:1.....like you i was thinking about reducing it although the car is running and driving i havnt as yet suffered any head gasket or detantion/pinking problems as yet but time will tell
By far the easyest way to reduce the comp ratio is to get an late engine with the 3 row ecu and cat convertor as this ran a reduced comp ratio of 9:7:1 which is ideal really when you do the maths.I spoke to a guy at GMC motorsport in scotland wo are an authorised Rotrex dealer and he says that its fine to run the Sp30/74 on the mi engine and leave the comp ratio as standard. he said the comp ratio wants to be no lower than 9:0:1 in any application as you will loose to much drivabilty at the bottom end...

Theres a guy on the pug 205 drivers forum thats got an eaton charger on the mi16 engine and he's had no trouble yet either with reliability so fingers crossed
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

hi there, well thats very interesting! it would be alot easierto modify my car if i didnt need to lower the compression. i was thinking about going the 8v gti piston route but as yet havn't got a hold of any. also could you tell me what years of cooper s have the rotrex charger i.e 01 - 04.

cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

badlyworntoy
3000 rpm

Post by badlyworntoy »

hi,im not sure which mini's have the eaton chargers on them but i have seen one in the flesh and there's no way you'll get one under the bonnet of a bx...............you should see the amount of trouble i had getting a alternator sized rotrex in!!!!!
The only way you'd get one in is to have it sticking out the bonnet like mad max's ford falcon intereptor.The guy with the eaton in the 205 doesnt have the problem of getting around a accumilator sphere and a flow divertor valve to get piping back to the air flow meter and throttle body.if i was you i wouldnt even think about it until you have the correct rotrex supercharger......if not just go the turbo route
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

If its just the FDV in teh way then that is very easily relocated into the scuttle or behind the headlight! I've done it twice, once with standard pipes from an 8v and once making up pipes from scratch.
badlyworntoy
3000 rpm

Post by badlyworntoy »

well i was wondering if all that could be moved but i couldnt understand why citroen put it there in the first place so wasnt sure if it could be moved. I dont have the tooling to make up microbore pipes anyway so faffing around moving the rad forward seemed the easyer option

if it is moved then im sure that an eaton would fit in a dream
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

badlyworntoy wrote:hi,im not sure which mini's have the eaton chargers on
hi there, i was asking which ones have the rotrex chargers? im guessing older models? maybe pre 05?

cheers rossco

djoptix
4000 rpm

Post by djoptix »

Ross, stop badgering the man! ;) I didn't think any BMW minis came with the Rotrex chargers, I thought they were all Eaton.

It's easy to tell the difference - Eatons are massive, Rotrexes are ickle.
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
"Man who run in front of car get tyred; man who run behind car get exhausted..."
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

Eatons must be what 5x the sixe of the Rotrex, and the exhaust is integral to the engine so i can't see how you would get one to work on a BX without extensive manufacturing exercise.
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

lol i've looked at rotrex online and they want near 2000 euro's for the kit new. i dont intend on paying that much for parts so will have to hunt them down :D which means knowing where they are and come from 8)

Simran
4000 rpm

Post by Simran »

They werent fitted to anything from the factory, theyre an independant manufacturer as far as i know. The only way you will find one cheap is if someone is selling one second hand on ebay or the likes.
badlyworntoy
3000 rpm

Post by badlyworntoy »

hey 2000 euros for someting that will give you all that power...... Sign me up for some of that!!!!
Ive spend more on a set of tyres!
mechuccio
3000 rpm

Post by mechuccio »

Nice work!
One of the Dutch valvers had a Rotrex installed too, I've driven it once and its pure madness. Allmost instantly hitting the rev limiter in the first three gears.
It's a goddamn beast I tells ya!
You can't spell slaughter without laughter ->I just love my 16V<-
badlyworntoy
3000 rpm

Post by badlyworntoy »

hey son
ive seen that car on youtube,i wouldnt mind a natter with him,i thought i had the only one!!!
Yup it is madness im spinning wheels into 3rd gear,it was hard work though to make it all fit,but well worth the effort
people keep saying to me "what the f**k is that car you've got?"you should see the look on their faces when their super quick modern Merc or Audi has just been smoked by a 20 year old Citroen BX :lol: