Silicone water hoses for the BX valver

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
MoRtYMer
3000 rpm

Re: Silicone water hoses for the BX valver

Post by MoRtYMer »

Ok so I'm probably missing one elbow.
frog
3000 rpm

Post by frog »

It might be the replacement hose that you're missing. If you have two elbows then you've got enough of them.
MoRtYMer
3000 rpm

Post by MoRtYMer »

I only have one elbow, I've sent a email to Stewart and I'm waiting for his response.
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

I know of another BX which will likely need some of these, does anyone know if they're available?
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

Pretty sure they are. When I originally arranged it with Stuart Baker I understood that once the moulds where made they would always be available, but there might be a bit of a lead time as he would add them to a bigger order with his supplier of the shipping cost would make them to expensive. If you don't mind what color, I suspect he'll have a set off the shelf
MoRtYMer
3000 rpm

Post by MoRtYMer »

Hi,
so Stewart replied me (a while ago, I just didn't had time to post this before), that the kit is now made of 11 hoses, so 2 of the 90 degree hoses where replaced by the one in the middle of the picture I posted before.

I've already changed most of them, but I still need to get the 2 metal tubes that go behind the engine (I have one of them, but it's corroded, the other one was changed by a previous owner for a rubber hose that's not correct for the car, so I will probably have them made in cooper or stainless steel), so what's not replaced yet are the hoses that go behind the engine (including one that's near the water pump, that will be real fun getting there...).
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Hi folks

I've noted the prices on the Baker web site - just wondered if that's the going rate for members or if Stuart is still giving any discount? I know it's a limited market in terms of number of buyers but totting up the coolant and oil breather hoses gets a bit eye watering!

Cheers

Adrian
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

To my knowledge there is no discount, and I have an idea of how much he makes on a set, and it isn't a whole lot.
I'd agree that it is eye watering, but if you compare with what a dealer would want for a single hose, then it's not really too steep.
I think when they lest had them the big main hose from radiator to engine was something like £90!

Frankly for the £375 odd for the set [edit water, intake and oil], I personally feel its worth it for the reliability and piece of mind, even if it is half the value of the car!
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Thanks Vanny - I remember seeing figures quoted around £200 when this was first mentioned, but wasn't sure what the end price was for the group buy, when it happened.

I remember well coughing up a lot of money to re-pipe my p2 years ago - I got one of the last bottom hoses and from memory that was about £70+VAT so aligns with the price you suggest.

The issue is persuading my dad that it's a worthwhile investment when he's planning to refresh the coolant, given old coolant may at least have been partly to blame for the head gasket/porous head issues he had before rebuilding the top end.

Have you got the oil pipes on yours too? Seem to recall the filler one gets a bit soft and horrid over the years. Not sure the use once clips listed on his site are necessary? Would've thought some high quality stainless jubilee clamps from RS would do the job?
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

I've got the whole lot, water oil and air!

I had to have the air one after one of the 'plugs' on my original came away and at the time i simply couldn't get another.

I do have the oil pipes fitted now as well, but have only had them for about 1000 miles so its hard to say about the quality but I've had no problems!

The 'cobra' clips would give a much neater finish, and i must say having seen them i'm rather tempted! I did propose a group buy of stainless Jubilee branded hose clamps, but it didn't seem a popular idea. In the end i decided the extra cost for stainless was probably not worth it for a low usage car that lives in the dry so bought plain steel Jubilee clamps.

You can buy Norma Cobra hose clamps for other places;
http://www.tom-parker.co.uk/products_su ... N-COBRA-HT
michael16v
Tick Over

Post by michael16v »

Well I have now got 700km on the rebuilt engine fitted with the silicone hoses. In the last few runs I have noticed a coolant smell when shutting down. Had a look round the engine bay and noticed some dried coolant that appears to be weeping from the fibre in between the inner and outer silicone.
I cleaned the hose and check tightened the clamps but it has reappeared :? Has anyone else had this happen? Only on the one hose from the top of the radiator to the thermostat housing that I can see. This is the same hose - faulty manufacture??
Cheers
Michael
Attachments
hose leak (2).jpg
hose leak (2).jpg (58.11 KiB) Viewed 24972 times
hose leak (1).jpg
hose leak (1).jpg (58 KiB) Viewed 24972 times
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

I doubt its weeping from the fibre, in fact i'm not sure thats even possible given the construction method.

More likely the hose clamps aren't done up enough and its leaking between the hose and union, when coolant gets out it will wick towards the fibres and this could be the cause of what you're seeing.

It's obviously difficult to tell from these pictures, but those hose clamps don't look the greatest, and they don't seem to be very tight. I would expect to see a indent in the silicon to either side of the clamp if it was suitably tight.

Generally i find silicon hoses need to be nipped up just that bit more than a rubber pipe, though it can be hard to gauge how tight as you don't want to shatter the plastic union!
MoRtYMer
3000 rpm

Post by MoRtYMer »

Does anyone have this problem?

One of the hoses is touching the intake manifold (check the picture to see). I don't know if I need to secure the hose differently or if this is caused because my radiator isn't original (had a radiator made of copper with copper side boxes when the original started leaking, but with the same format of the original).

Did some one have this problem and if so how did you fixed it?
frog
3000 rpm

Post by frog »

ImageXU9J4z by tyro.chris, on Flickr
Thats what my hose looks like.

Your inlet manifold looks quite far forward? May just be the angle.

I've got around 10,000 Km's on these hoses. No drama's at all.
Mungous
Tick Over

Post by Mungous »

:shock: Damn that looks shiny and awesome!!