Electric Driver's Mirror Fitting

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
scrappydoo

Electric Driver's Mirror Fitting

Post by scrappydoo »

Have just fitted an electric driver's mirror to an '87 GTI that only had manual Driver's side previously. Unfortuately I can find no wiring connector plug for the white pin heating element and when I go to adjust the mirror the passenger side adjusts at the same time making my efforts all a little pointless and confusing!

Any advise as to how to get them to adjust according to what side has been selected on the switch itself on the dash next to the front foglight switch. :wink:
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

The GTi does not have independant control wing mirrors, there is a relatively simple wiring mod you need to perform to make the buttons work seperately on each side. I've not had to do the mod myself, but i think if you look at the wiring diagram (eg the one in Haynes) then its quite apparent what to do.

Equally i don't think the GTi had heated wing mirrors, and hence no plug, you might be best having a look at the 16v wiring diagram, seing how its connected up (my total guess would be that it has its own pin at the fuse box).
scrappydoo

Post by scrappydoo »

The Mirror Control switch does seem to enable you to switch between left, none or right mirror control.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

But only in the switch, the wiring is co joined, LHD models are the same so i assume its a common loom.
scrappydoo

Post by scrappydoo »

Anyone know what I can do to sort out the wiring to enable me to be able to adjust them independently?