Braided brake hoses

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Kitch
5000 rpm

Braided brake hoses

Post by Kitch »

Anyone seen or used these before?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Citroen-Bx-19Gti- ... 2a04150f36

I've just popped a set on the TVR and although I haven't got it back on it's wheels yet, I've heard nothing but good things. Really firm up the pedal apparently, and obviously last longer than rubber. I know a BX doesn't exactly have alot of feel in the brakes, but the non-ABS cars are so much sharper on the pedal I almost wish I didn't have ABS!
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

First off the advert is clearly generic and in no way related to the BX so i would be very sceptical about fitment.

Secondly, the BX has powered brakes which work very differently to normal DOT based braking systems, my understanding is that you simply don't get 'spongy' brakes as a result of the hose compound, and brake fade due to over heating of the braking fluid is incredibly rare.

They could be a potential life saver to the BX though, as ABS flexi hoses are no longer available (new stock) from factors or Citroen.
Toddman
Administrator

hoses

Post by Toddman »

I did spot an ebay ad for BX braided brake hoses a couple of days ago.
I totally agree with Vanny, I have uses braided hoses before on ordinary braking systems and basically the braiding protects the rubber hose and helps to eliminate flexing or bulging of the rubber hose when the fluid is hot and you are breaking with lots of force, hence why they firm up the pedal.

So long as the braided brake hoses are decent quality they will only be a good addition to any braking system.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Simran
4000 rpm

Post by Simran »

Cant comment on the effect of braided hoses on cars because ive never tried them but i have a set fitted on my bike and they make an incredible difference compared to old rubber hoses. Pedal feel wont change on the bx, as vanny says the way our systems operate are different, but the reaction at the caliper will be more positive so i would expect them to have stronger initial bite which isnt really a weak point of the bx. You may not notice much of a difference if your rubber hoses are fairly new and fresh but even if its just for peace of mind and longevity id say they are a worthwhile purchase if the price is decent.

Does anyone know whether the fittings on the ends would be the same as something like a 405? Seals on dot based braking systems dont like mineral fluid and vice versa but i think the lining material in hoses is compatible because they are used on all types of mountain bike systems regardless of the fluid in them (they use dot and mineral oils too), you buy a length of hose and then order the fittings that are specific to your system and all is well.

I would ring HEL first to see what the kit REALLY contains as it mentions that it is a 4 line system, which is impossible on the bx, the rear lines are solid right upto the caliper anyway so it would be pointless changing them for flexible braided lines.